What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ignition Decision

Robb

Well Known Member
I have an IO540D4A5 engine that is having issues with the Slick Magneto. I have to decide which way to go. I also have the older Lightspeed that is functioning fine. The current Slick is a 6351 with an impulse coupling that I am not going to re install. I can either use a 6350 standard mag or a 6393 that will retard the timing. I dont think I need it retard timing as the Lighspeed automatically does it on start. The other option is to just use two new Pmags and be done with it. I just spent $700 on lower fine wires so I am leaning towards a new 6393. I do have two totally separate electrical busses and alternators on my F1 now. I had e mags on my last plane and it worked fine

If you do not retard the mag when starting, you should have it off line and just do the start on the Lightspeed.

Your key switch should be able to do this.

Trying to start with a hot mag that is not retarded can cause kickbacks that can break things.

Related but slight drift. If guys are fitting Surefly, are you putting a back up power supply for bus/battery failure etc ?

Related but slight drift. If guys are fitting Surefly, are you putting a back up power supply for bus/battery failure etc ?

I have a Surefly on start side and standard slick mag on other and I did not opt for backup power. I wanted to keep it simple. In event of charging (alt failure) I figured I'd be getting down as quick as possible anyway. In event of total electrical failure, I have the slick to get me down (as soon as possible). Backup is good, but I opted for simplicity. NOTE: I do have backup battery for electronics in panel, but it's not tied to SureFly ignition.

May not be the solution for others, just sharing my choice with you as one data point.

I have two separate electrical busses but will probably just use a standard mag for safety reasons. Still trying to see how my mag timing could be so far retarded ?

Back