What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend? (1/9/21 - 1/10/21)

Good Vibrations

Balanced the prop/engine...I'll just leave this here :)

Attachments

• IMG_1950.jpg
    IMG_1950.jpg
    482.5 KB · Views: 316
Cut a big hole in the wing. We’re waiting on parts for a couple of SB’s anyway, figured it was as good a time as any to put in the landing light. It’s nerve wracking to chop big holes in a perfectly good wing.

Winter Build

Well its winter time, everyone is building!
Me, I made a run for firewall forward wiring. That stuff is expensive, but only do it once. Gotta build while the beaches are closed/ cold!

I feel like I am living in a movie; building a plane so that one day, I can escape the madness.

Last edited:
Did my flight review with instructor Mary. Departed KLHM > KMHR > KSAC > KSMF > KLHM. Been awhile since I’ve carried a passenger. The dual instructions was awesome.

Flew "my" RV-9A for the last time, as I delivered it to its new owner in Denver. Left San Diego at 0600, made a quick stop in St Johns, AZ, and then on to Denver Centennial.

Despite having a 14 in the hangar now, and that being a better fit for what I do with the airplane (and the 14 being easier to get in and out of, due to some mobility problems for my passenger..which was the driving force for me), I was sad to see it go. My 9A was the source of many great memories, lots of learning, and occasionally, some frustration. I think that can be said of ALL of our RV's, right?

Beautiful flight to Denver, and a nice flight and conversation with the new owner.

Attachments

• IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 256
Got some aviating in. On Sat, flew to KGMU to finally celebrate Christmas with our daughter, son-in-law, and grandson. We were in isolation over the holidays since my wife was diagnosed COVID positive on 12/21. On the way home had some beautiful sunset scenes coming back to Lake Oconee. On Sunday, I just went up and did some flying around the lake area. 3.3 hours logged for the weekend!

Attachments

• 2021-01-10 Sunset 1.jpg
    2021-01-10 Sunset 1.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 287
  • 2021-01-10 Sunset 2.jpg
    2021-01-10 Sunset 2.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 321
Burned off some more of my 40 hours on Saturday and Sunday. The air in central New Hampshire was glass-smooth yesterday so it was a perfect opportunity to do some checkouts of the G3x Touch autopilot and play with the G3x Lean Assist function. Also got to wing-wag at my wife, dog and in-laws at the north end of the lake.

It was one of those days where you forget about all the frustration of building and just enjoy some RV awesomeness!

Attachments

• IMG_3013.jpg
    IMG_3013.jpg
    578.6 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_3015.jpg
    IMG_3015.jpg
    560.1 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_3021.jpg
    IMG_3021.jpg
    450.3 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_3023.jpg
    IMG_3023.jpg
    545.4 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Pilots N Paws rescue flight with one dog and 2 cats. Great way to get my flying fix and help out.

Attachments

• Merry 3.jpg
    Merry 3.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 270
Burned off some more of my 40 hours on Saturday and Sunday. The air in central New Hampshire was glass-smooth yesterday so it was a perfect opportunity to do some checkouts of the G3x Touch autopilot and play with the G3x Lean Assist function. Also got to wing-wag at my wife, dog and in-laws at the north end of the lake.

It was one of those days where you forget about all the frustration of building and just enjoy some RV awesomeness!

Looking good Dave! Is it lake Winnipesauki? Is the ice forming on Alton Bay?

Flew "my" RV-9A for the last time, as I delivered it to its new owner in Denver. Left San Diego at 0600, made a quick stop in St Johns, AZ, and then on to Denver Centennial.

Despite having a 14 in the hangar now, and that being a better fit for what I do with the airplane (and the 14 being easier to get in and out of, due to some mobility problems for my passenger..which was the driving force for me), I was sad to see it go. My 9A was the source of many great memories, lots of learning, and occasionally, some frustration. I think that can be said of ALL of our RV's, right?

Beautiful flight to Denver, and a nice flight and conversation with the new owner.

appeared to be a nice final flight with some beautiful mountain photos. a great way to part ways with the aircraft.

Looking good Dave! Is it lake Winnipesauki? Is the ice forming on Alton Bay?
Thanks Vlad! That's Newfound Lake, 1P1 and Plymouth NH are 3 miles or so past the mountains at the north end of the lake.

Ice is indeed forming on Alton Bay. Still a ways to go, but we're supposed to have some really cold weather in the next 2-3 weeks that might open up the runway in February.

Dave

Happy to get off the planet for a bit

I hadn’t been off the planet since 11/28. I was happy just to get a tour of the neighborhood. I also redid a Vy climb test, nothing quite like -1500’DA at 800’MSL. Zoom!

I'm recovered enough from my foot surgery to where I was able to climb into my 8 yesterday, taxi it around the ramp, and do a run-up. First time since early October!

Felt great to get back in the saddle, even if just for ground ops. My ankle is still a bit too weak and sore to trust it for operating the rudder and brakes during a landing. Hope to get airborne in a couple weeks or so.

My RV-10 isn't going anywhere yet, but it got a lot closer to takeoff. We hung the engine on it Saturday.

Sorry about the rotated photos - I can fix them in my EAA blog but I don't know how to fix them here.

Attachments

• IMG_1303.jpg
    IMG_1303.jpg
    482.3 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_1304.jpg
    IMG_1304.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 231
Congratulations

Congrats David, Been a long time coming. Sounds like your off and running.

Steve N43EV KCON

Tahoe Flight

Did a quick flight to Lake Tahoe to show a friend around the KTVL airport. The restaurant on the airport was closed so we walked a few miles into town and had a outdoor, take-out only breakfast. It was a great day for flying with very little wind over the mountains and crisp, clear sky.

Attachments

• IMG_9978.jpg
    IMG_9978.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_9971.jpg
    IMG_9971.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 128
Congrats

My RV-10 isn't going anywhere yet, but it got a lot closer to takeoff. We hung the engine on it Saturday.

Sorry about the rotated photos - I can fix them in my EAA blog but I don't know how to fix them here.
Congrats on hanging the engine. i hope to be there soon. I was looking at your picture to see where the electrical feedthrus were coming thru the firewall but couldn't find them; then I notice your "old tech" instrument cluster. (cinder blocks)

Congrats on hanging the engine. i hope to be there soon. I was looking at your picture to see where the electrical feedthrus were coming thru the firewall but couldn't find them; then I notice your "old tech" instrument cluster. (cinder blocks)

No wires through the firewall yet. I've been running a bunch of light, pitot heat, stall, etc wires from where they are need to the panel area. I have a piece of scrap plywood across the nose, resting where the upper forward fuselage will be attached. The plywood was there to hold about 300 pounds of cinder blocks to keep the nose on the ground until the engine was attached.

In the plywood, I had one of my kids drill about 12 holes and label each one (light wires, fuel, gps, stall, etc) and route the wires through each labeled hole to keep everything generally organized for now. It was a fun task for a kid. Drills are the best tool at that age.

Back