What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS spar doubler

Chris7

Hi all,

This may be a stupid question but I'm after some advice before I match drill the HS spars and ribs to the skins.

The plans call out for priming (if desired) then riveting the spar doublers to the spars, I'd prefer to wait until everything is drilled and countersunk before I prime my spars and then rivet the doublers to them.

Has anyone done it this way or is there reasons for/against just using cleo's until all parts are final drilled/countersunk/deburred?

Thanks!

That is the way you want to do it, drill/dimple/fit and then if you are going to prime do it just before final assembly/riveting.

Hi all,

This may be a stupid question but I'm after some advice before I match drill the HS spars and ribs to the skins.

The plans call out for priming (if desired) then riveting the spar doublers to the spars, I'd prefer to wait until everything is drilled and countersunk before I prime my spars and then rivet the doublers to them.

Has anyone done it this way or is there reasons for/against just using cleo's until all parts are final drilled/countersunk/deburred?

Thanks!

I can't remember anything off the top of my head that makes me think you couldn't wait to prime and rivet the spars and doublers. Access to some spots for the rest of the work might be a little easier without the extra clecoes in the way but you can probably just move them around as you need to.

I followed the plans. A dab of primer with a q-tip (or a quick spray when priming the skins) in the countersunk holes was all that was needed.

Messing with the clecos around the center section where the ribs are angled sounds like a major inconvenience compared to 15s of spraying primer later on.

Back