What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fly Q

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
Anybody out there switch to Fly Q after using another program such as ForeFlight or Garmin Pilot etc??

Impressions?

I like it

I am a beta tester for FlyQ and like it a lot. I have tried all others to some degree, but just keep coming back to FlyQ. I find it to be the most intuitive of the apps.

I use it even when all I want is a weather forecast. Since it logs in via DUATS, there is a record on file that you checked weather. It only takes seconds and also has a quick look up of approach frequencies and winds aloft. Helps me choose a quick cruise altitude. I only use it on the iphone.

I tried Foreflight and hated it - not very intuitive for me. Decided to get FlyQ when they had the big sale last year - $299 or something like that for lifetime subscription. Its an outgrowth of the old AOPA flight planner, which I found worked well for me.

Greg

I have used ForeFlight for about 3 years but I find their support irritating when you ask why they don't support more options for ADSB. I got tired of promises alternating with bad mouthing my ADSB receiver and bought FlyQ. Great support but it a new system to learn - but not too difficult. After a month or so I'd say I like flight planning and daydreaming with ForeFlight better and flying with FlyQ better. FlyQ's attention to giving information in one or two clicks makes it a better cockpit companion, imo.

Bottom line - both are far more than most of us need but I really like that FlyQ will give me current weather off my ADSB receiver...ForeFlight has simultaneously hinted they deliver and then not delivered for two years.

Also, i emailed the CEO Steve Podradchick on Friday, he emailed me a response back the next day on Saturday with exactly the info i asked and wanted to hear! You cant beat that for customer support!

PS. I asked about the same Skyview Wifi support that Foreflight has. He assured me it will be added soon as soon "as they are allowed to." :D

I started with a free 30 day trial of Foreflight around 18 months ago, along with others (FlyQ and WingXPro).

I still use Foreflight and sprung for the Stratus 2 recently as well. Nothing wrong with the other products but I found FF to be more intuitive and feature rich. I also do not understand why they don't want to work with other ADS-B receivers since it would likely get more people onto FF.

After using FlyQ

Dropped my Foreflight subscription ----- I also use iFly on their portable, and on my iPads and have WingX on the iPad.

I use a SkyguardTWX ADS-B Transceiver for traffic and weather.

Back