What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VAL INS 429

trib

Well Known Member
I'm getting started on my IFR training and the only thing I currently have is a MK12D+ Nav/Com with VOR (no glide slope). The expensive option would be to upgrade to an SL-30 and HSI. I keep going back to the VAL INS 429 which has full ILS and markers, and a VOR with everything included in the unit (even the radios) for $1900. It appears to be very intuitive and easy to operate. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience concerning these units? I'd like to try it, but appreciate any advice concerning the equipment that those with more knowledge than me would care to share! I can then have a second VOR with my currently installed Nav/Com.

It's a Great Choice

I fly instruments in my 9A using a 396 with Wx and the INS429. My primary comm is an SL40, and these are backed up by an ICOM handheld navcom with a panel antenna jack.
The 429 is very solid, with knobs that function like a traditional Vor/Loc in terms of radial centering (only faster). In addition, by a single button push, it immediately centers on and identifies the radial you're on. Left knob sets frequency with a backup in que - easy to flip/flop. Pushing both buttons while in LOC switches the unit to reverse sensing for back course work. Ten LEDs in each direction rather than five hash marks is a nice feature - helps make for very accurate flying. Oh yeah, and the marker beacons are there as well. Unit can also be wired to your autopilot and can also be used with a selector switch and display GPS input. All in a tight package.
I'd really like an EFIS and a GNS430 to give me GPS approach capability and full redundancy to supplement my current setup. In the meantime, this minimalist approach works just fine.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

I like my 429 and do have a 430W feeding into it. The 429 seems to do everything it is called upon to do, and if you ever saw the insides, wow! It is machined from solid aluminum and is a real rock. VAL is good to deal with, also, as I had to send the unit in because of a bent shaft (shipping damage.)

Bob

GPS VDI

Their brochure mentions both CDI and VDI for ILS, but only CDI for GPS. Bob, can you confirm that it provides vertical guidance for waas approaches? I called VAL, but either they didn't understand me or I didn't understand them.

Val.

I used the eariler version of Val's unit, I think it was INS 422? It was rock solid, but hard to use. I upgraded to the 429. Very nice piece of gear, MUCH better display, and it served as my "ace in the hole" nav equipment. I am a VFR pilot, but still like to use the VOR to navigate, and practice the ILS approach. (The 422 got me out of trouble one time) It was Always dead on.
You don't see to many of them out there, but I highly recommend it. It is of very high quality, affordable, and so far has proven to be reliable. Note as well, easy to use. The guys at Val are great to deal with. IMHO, an often overlooked and underrated piece of gear when folks plan thier panel.
Regards,
Chris

Not too long ago I bought a nice used INS 422 on ebay for $455. Keep your eye out, they're out there.

Back