What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SFRA & FRZ

grover

Well Known Member
planning DC trip. is it worth the bother jumping through the hoops for vfr flight near there, or stay out & go by rental car?

if you are proficient in your talking skills than i would think it would be a great experience. do your homework and save a bunch of time driving thru the dc area. you might not need a car because the transportation is excellent there. there is an online course that you need to take also. good luck and keep us posted.

Take FAA Course - It Is Mandatory to Fly Near SFRA

If you fly within 60nm of the DCA VOR you must take the course. I do not know which GA airport is closest to WashDC that you are permitted to fly into, but both Leesburg (KJYO) and Manassas (KHEF) Virginia are GA friendly. I am very familiar with the KJYO procedures and you can get into KJYO VFR without talking to ATC. Just file a SFRA flight plan from fix JASEN or LUCKY to KJYO, squawk 1227 (in bound...1226 outbound), stay out of the Dulles Class B (the ceiling is 1500' close to KJYO) and announce entering at fix and normal calls around KJYO on 122.975.

The procedures for other close in airports are more complicated if VFR. Never enter the SFRA squawking 1200 or you will be contacted by FAA and / or Secret Service. Don't forget....take the FAA course and print the certificate. Good luck.

Fly In

I am based in the heart of the SFRA. It is really easy but as others said you need to take the FAA training to fly even with 60nm of the SFRA. A few tips...First, when you call FSS to file your SFRA flight plan, use this number: 866-225-7410. When answered use prompt #1. These guys file the SFRA and FRZ plans all day long so they won't screw them up. There is nothing worse than trying to get in and ATC does not have your SFRA flight plan because flight service screwed it up. Second, GAI in Gaithersburg, MD is close by the metro so an easy way of getting in and out of DC. A few of the hotels in the area have shuttles and can get you to and from the airport. You don't want to drive into DC anyway. Parking is very expensive if you are lucky enough to find it along with the ridiculous rush hour traffic and crazy DC drivers like me.

For a good overview of how to actually fly the SFRA watch this video: http://aviationsafetyvideos.com/ebook1.html

I fly my -7A into the DC SFRA on a monthly basis to Tipton(FME) and/or Freeway(W00). Recently, I've entered from the south over BRV, but have entered from north over FDK. I second Gaithersburg(GAI) as a good choice.

FME is also a good choice. It's better for transients than GAI, because they have dedicated transient tiedowns and GAI does not. You can get an Enterprise rental car at FME, if needed. Lately, I've been using W00, but transient tiedowns can be iffy, without an advance call.

Because of the strict transponder usage rules, i.e squawking 1200 is forbidden and an automatic violation, I leave my transponder on all the time. When inbound after reporting your landing airport "in sight", ATC will remind you to "stay on your current transponder code until you land."

After contacting ATC with a request to pick up your SFRA flight plan into "XXX", they will give you your transponder code. The next transmission from ATC, which is your approval, initially took me by surprise, because you're NOT cleared to do anything. ATC will say something like,"Transponder observed. Remain clear of the Class B." That's your approval to proceed to you destination via your flight planned route, but stay out of Class B airspace.

Typically, that's the last you'll hear from ATC, 'til they hand you off to the next controller or you call your destination in sight. If I sense that ATC isn't too busy, I'll request clearance through the Class B at an appropriate VFR altitude, usually 3500 or 4500. I'll get it 90% of the time. That avoids having to get down below 1500 for 20 or 30 miles.

It really helps to have a very specific route programmed into your gps ahead of time. For example, I arrive over Nottingham(OTT) going to FME or W00. A direct route to either airport from OTT sends you right through the Andrews Class D (7 DME ring), so I programmed an 8 DME arc into the gps and let the autopilot fly it to keep me clear.

Departures just require a quick phone call to Potomac Approach to get your code. Just make darn sure that the code is in your transponder, which had better be on when you call ATC after departure. Again, that's why I leave it on all the time.

Anyway, it's not difficult, just a few specific rules to follow. In 5 years of doing it, I haven't had any nasty calls from the FAA. I just love the thought that I'm poking the bear by flying in. The feds seem to make it pain just to keep people out, so do your homework and fly on in.

Now, if you really want to make it stress free, file and fly in on an IFR clearance, even in VFR conditions. You'll probably get a little more convoluted route, BUT it will be like a red carpet has been rolled out for you. One time, I came in right over BWI at 2500 inbound to FME on an approach. ATC will likely vector you at a reasonable altitude and all of the Class B avoidance issues disappear. Just don't squawk 1200 after you cancel.

Mike

mike & mike, great stuff here for the dc flight. i will keep this info on hand for any flights for myself. thanks again, im sure this will help anyone in and out of the airspace.

Back