What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chicago VFR corridor

Steve

Well Known Member
I'll be departing OSH heading south to Florida. A couple of questions for the local pilots.
Is there a VFR corridor along the Lake Michigan shoreline?
Is a clearance easily obtained from (O'Hare?) Approach?
Is it a too big a bother so I should go around Chicago on the west side?

Thanks all

Steve,
Yes there is a VFR corridor. Review a terminal area chart @ runwayfinder.com because the altitudes do change going down the lakeshore. I use the shoreline frequently. it's one of the most scenic skylines around.
Don
N410JA

I avoid VFR corridors. See if flying high works....talking to ATC if they want to play nice.

The Chicago Class B tops out at 10,000. Enroute to or from OSH in my -7A, I cross overhead at 10,500 or 11,500 depending on direction and attempt to contact approach control just to let them know I'm there. If they don't respond, I know I'm legal and just keep a sharp eye out for climbing traffic.

For ORD traffic, All of the arrivals enter on the "corners" and are lower than 10,000 within the lateral limits of the Class B. The departures generally fly out the sides North, South, East or West.

Hope this helps.

The bottom of the class B airspace is 3000 msl over the lake. I used to fly it all the time heading to GA to visit the kids. I never could raise atc while doing it and no one seemed to care. I would fly at about 1200 msl, which put me about 600 feet above the lake and below the tops of the skyscrapers. Awesome flight past the Chicago skyline. Especially in the AM. It can get foggy, though, so be aware of conditions. And be mindful of other smaller airports and their space.

Enjoy the view,

Roberta

The lakeshore corridor is a really nice flight. Beautiful vistas of the Chicago skyline. There is lots of VFR traffic. Approach will give good service if they can find the time. The VFR route keeps you at 2500 or so and about a mile off shore. It's pretty tight for about 5 miles, but opens up on both ends. If it were me I'd go over the top. But, it's not that big of a deal using the corridor.

I've also flown this corridor a number of times, including trips to Meigs field before it was closed. Great views along the way, just need to pay close attention to airspace and traffic. I've usually been able to get advisories from approach but this probably depends on time of day. The tradeoff is that options are few if you develop engine trouble.

Chicago Bravo airspace

I have to take issue with any suggestion that there is a VFR corridor along the lakeshore. You are simply flying under the Bravo lower altitude limits. There is absolutely no need to fly offshore. Below 3000' one can fly along the shore with 1-1.5 nm to spare.No requirement to talk to anyone. Or one can fly further inland at a lower altitude, staying outside the ORD six nm ring and respaecing the Midway Charlie airspace.
The only VFR corridor thru Bravo airspace that I am familiar with is the Los Angeles corridors which are depicted on the charts and require ATC clearance.

I agree entirely! There's no "VFR corridor." You don't need to talk to anyone to fly along the shoreline, as long as you stay out of the Class Bravo airspace. So let's not give Chicago's 'Mayor Doofus' any ideas... :eek:

easy flight

I was through a couple weeks ago, and approach let me into the TCA and everything. they were very helpful and it was some good sightseeing.

If you follow the route listed in the TCA chart they will usually give you radar service.

Last edited:
Get a Terminal Area Chart - Flyways

Having done all of my flight training under the Class B, I have to correct some posts. The flip side of the Chicago Terminal Area Chart (not Sectional) maps out four (4) VFR flyways with recommended altitudes. The lake route has a recommendation for at or below 2,500 MSL. The floor of the TCA/Class B at that point is 3,000.

If you continue up the coast make sure you check in with Waukegan (UGN) tower.

Also, there are active skydivers at two airports on southern WI to watch out for. They are Sylvania (C89) (along side I-94) and East Troy (57C)(along side I-43).

Yeah, I'm wrong... Flyway not a corridor

Steve,
Yes there is a VFR corridor. Review a terminal area chart @ runwayfinder.com because the altitudes do change going down the lakeshore. I use the shoreline frequently. it's one of the most scenic skylines around.
Don
N410JA
I Should have said Flyway, not a corridor. Sorry for the misinformation.
It's still a great view though!
Don O
N410JA

I've done it all three ways over the years going and coming from OSH to Indy. The most typical was to fly around the west side which set you up for a due north route to Ripon. Going over the top was easy for the Rocket but not as scenically interesting. The lake shore route was very cool but there is a lot of traffic, especially once you start to head inland to avoid Milwaukee. I think the west side route is the safest and the lake shore route the most beautiful but also more stressful due to the traffic. Either way, fly safe.

Rocket is very correct about the traffic. During Oshkosh, The air traffic in SE WI is horrendous. Be especially careful while rubbernecking all the secenery. But have fun and enjoy.

Roberta

The view can be awsome!!!
iyhgra.jpg

1183abt.jpg

Back