What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help needed with Dynon D-180

FlyingArcher

Well Known Member
Sorry if it's not RV related, but I thought I should ask this to the most knowledgeable and helpful community that I know: VAF.

Yesterday afternoon, our Flying Club's homebuilt Dynareo MCR-4S crashed just after takeoff with 3 people inboard. Pilot and right seat occupant suffer serious feet injuries, but hopefully are alive and their pronostic is quite reassuring. Pilt's father in the back-seat simply unbuckled his 4-point harness and walked out of the plane with a small scratch on his right hand... kind of a miracle. The plane is totalled.
It was equipped with a Dynon FlightDEK-D180 that has not been destroyed, thus my question to experts in this forum. The inspector in charge of the crash investigation would like to know the best procedure to try to retrieve any valuable information about the flight that might still be stored in the EFIS/EMS.
I think it's the first time they have to deal with this unit and they'd like to avoid losing data by simply making the wrong action.
Any advice or written procedure you can point me to would be great.
If you think the information is irrelevant to this forum, please PM me or send your emails to "danielmouly at wanadoo.fr".
Many thanks in advance.

It matters what version software is on the unit, and if it was configured for datalogging. The best thing to do right now is not turn it on since it will eventually loop over and erase any history it has (if any).

Probably best to contact us at support @ dynonavionics.com so we can help you out. We've dealt with this with the NTSB before as well.

Last edited:
Thanks

I've forwarded this important info about risking to loose data by powering on the unit.
I should get the software version info soon, and yes, datalogging was turned on with 1 sec. interval.
I've asked the guy in charge to send a request to Dynon support address.
Is the software to analyze logs available from Dynon's site?
Sorry to ask dumb questions, I didn't participate in this build so I just discover the product.

Once you download the log file, it can be opened in Excel... so no additional software would be needed.

Back