What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing root pictures

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
Thinking through the wing wiring and don't know how the wing root ties into the fuselage for wiring purposes. Does anyone have some pictures that show the wing root at the fuselage?

That is part of my question. Am I going to make new holes in the fuse to pass the wires or are there already places for it? Was thinking of deutsch connectors and not a bulkhead mount but could do a bulkhead if that makes sense.

It will be a substantial amount of wire. I'll have the a/p servo and a GMU-11 in the right wing, and the OAT probe probably in the left, in addition to strobes and lights. No electric roll trim going manual for that.

There's no preexisting hole for passing the wiring into the fuselage, or if there is I'm way too dumb to identify it. I'm not flying yet but my wing conduit (1/2" PEX tubing) will protrude into the fuselage under the seat floors. Connections will be along the lines of handshake connectors or d-sub pins depending on wire gauge.

That is part of my question. Am I going to make new holes in the fuse to pass the wires or are there already places for it? Was thinking of deutsch connectors and not a bulkhead mount but could do a bulkhead if that makes sense.

It will be a substantial amount of wire. I'll have the a/p servo and a GMU-11 in the right wing, and the OAT probe probably in the left, in addition to strobes and lights. No electric roll trim going manual for that.

I also used Deutsch DT and DTM connectors at the wingroot. I have two temp. sensors, GMU-11, Roll Servo, Taxi-, Landing-, Strobe- and Navlights as well as a archer antenna in the wingtip. I have them fixed at the fuselage and free at the wing.

And as Scott mentioned, be careful with the passenger footwells.. I had to reposition my BNC connector for the Archer NAV antenna!

Attachments

• 966DAA6D-7431-41B9-9F3C-4FB02F9DD42A.jpg
    966DAA6D-7431-41B9-9F3C-4FB02F9DD42A.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_8265.jpg
    IMG_8265.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_8069.jpg
    IMG_8069.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
simple solution

I just used longer wire - no connectors. Kept the wire coiled up in the fuse until the wings were attached, and then just pushed them through the conduit.

+2

I also thought about installing a connector.
Decided against, I wired the wings with extra lenghts to factor the fuselage once mated.
I'll cut them if needed...

Exactly. Added an extra service loop and if the wings ever need to come off (I sure hope not!) I'll cut the bundle and add a connector then.

Exactly. Added an extra service loop and if the wings ever need to come off (I sure hope not!) I'll cut the bundle and add a connector then.

Same here. If, God forbid, I ever have to pull the wings off, I figure I'll just depin any connectors at the devices and pull the wires, then run them through the conduits again. They went in once, they should go back in a second time, as much of a PITA as it is.

I just hope I don't ever have to do that :).

Back