What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nuts for close tolerance spar splice bolts RV-4

propflipper

I cannot find a reference in the plans for the type of nut for the close tolerance wing spar splice bolts. I have all of the bolt sizes but there is no mention of nuts or washers for the bolts. Not even in the manual. Just use AN-365 nylock ? or is there a special high strength nut ?

Thank you for your help.

Plain old Nylock is fine

The bolts are all loaded in shear, so the Nylocks are fine, and the standard size washers are fine. One word of caution though..some kits (mine included), come with oversize bolts at some locations if the "factory" reaming is required to address an out-of-round or miss-aligned hole at production.I had two bolts that were over size. For an oversize bolt, the threads are still the same, but it is possible the shank diameter is larger and the washers need to be oversized to fit. The oversize condition,if it exists is listed on the delivery of the wing kit so you know where they go. Hope this helps.

Thank you Bill. Should be easy enough to determine if I need the oversize. Many things have "disappeared" from my kit over the years. Thank goodness I still have the splice plates.

Back