What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Reduced head screw

DarinFred

I’m about to drill and countersink for the flush AN509-8 screws behind the baffle on some RV-4 style fuel tanks. The plans call for AN509-8 screws but I’d like to see if there is an alternative with a shallower countersink. Will a NAS8602-1 or -2 work?

Getting into the weeds here. Thanks for the help!

Jay

Last edited:
Here is one of my old posts for reduced head screws I used

#8 Report Post
Old 01-07-2014, 09:46 AM
Default Titanium hardware
I have used the Boeing fastener codes/sources for all my Titanium hardware. Again, being in the industry helps, and for the most part, an RV uses 2 basic types, one being the hex head bolt, and the flush machine screw. I simplified the flush screw variations throughout the entire plane, and utilize all #8 screws/nutplates for fuel tank attach flanges,fairings,wheel pants,floor panels,ect.. But I used what is known as a "reduced head" 100 degree fastener. These screws have a smaller head that is equivelent to a #6 screw, but have a 5/32" shank diameter. The hex head bolts are a direct replacement for the AN3&4 diameters. The basic numbers are:
Hex head bolt : BACB30NR (diameter in 16ths)K(length in 16ths), so a BACB30NR3K3is a 3/16 diameter, 3/16 grip length Titanium bolt with aluminum coating (the K designation).
Flush head: BACB30VF2K3 is a reduced head,100 degree CSK #8 machine screw, 3/16 grip. The (2) diameter is for a 5/32" diameter, however a (3) would be 3/16", so dont let it throw you off. I know this is all a little confusing, but Google the numbers and you will probably find vendors/data..but I would start with the originator of this thread.

I used some NAS8702U1 reduced-head fasteners on one area of my RV-3B. These have #8 threads with a #6 head. The material is A286 stainless, at 160 ksi. This is the material and strength that most of the spacecraft I worked on in my career used for their fasteners - tough and strong.

My source was Military Fasteners. There was a minimum order. These weren't cheap.

Thanks to HFS for the fastener suggestion.

Dave

Back