What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Line for CS Prop

no7rosman

Hello - I am converting from FP to a MT CS prop with the MT governor. Is there a pre-built oil line for this or is it better to build my own?

Oil Line for CS prop

Yes, Lycoming has a stainless steel preformed line which installs along the base of the crankcase/oil pan joint from front to back. Lycoming has a service bulletin on the conversion which also allows a fabricated oil line made with teflon hose which is approved and is to be replaced at engine major. Replacement is not required with the SS. The SB includes data on the entire conversion including crankshaft plugs, prop bushings and the oil line.

Dick DeCramer
N500DD RV6
Faribault, MN

Dick, would you please post a link to that Lyc. SB or at least list the SB number.

Thanks,

George

Tube

Hi

I am doing a similar conversion and like you needed this pipe. I bought a flexible pipe from TS and it is good. However, I then bought a stainless tube off Axo together with the governor drive.

Since then I have acquired two engines both with CS set ups, so I now have 3 stainless steel tubes and on flexible.

I think you can see where I am going.......if you decide to go stainless contact me

Regards
Steve

I'm doing the opposite. Going from C/S to fixed pitch and will be removing the oil line and prop governor pad. The lycoming publication listed here says to use "proper plugs" to plug the holes left in the case. What plugs are considered proper?

Stainless rigid tubes are great. Lycoming lists 4 different ones. Most all are the same fromt he case nose around the sump to about the engine mount ring. Depending on what fitting is in the accessory case for the, tube (straight, 45* or 90*) thats where the difference is. Angles, lengths. Unless you are replacing a rigid tube that you KNOW fits your engine, it might be easier to use a firesleeved teflon hose.
WE have 1 of the 4 tubes scanned for duplication---but dont really have an application for it. Eventually, we'll have a pic of it on our joint venture website.

Tom

Thanks for everyones help and input. I am working with Tom to get the right one. Very much appreciated!

To dwranda -- Why you going the other way? Just curious.

Thanks for everyones help and input. I am working with Tom to get the right one. Very much appreciated!

To dwranda -- Why you going the other way? Just curious.

My planes not done yet and the engine i bought is at up for c/s. I'm a new pilot having only flown cessnas with f/p so even with a fixed pitch prop the RV is going to be awesome for me. I also already bought a slightly used 3 blade Catto prop here from someone. I can always reverse the process down the road if i want to so I'm keeping the parts that will come off the engine just in case.

I'm doing the opposite. Going from C/S to fixed pitch and will be removing the oil line and prop governor pad. The lycoming publication listed here says to use "proper plugs" to plug the holes left in the case. What plugs are considered proper?

I'm sooo confused :eek::eek::eek::confused::confused::confused: - I've never heard of anyone going from a C/S to Fixed. Very Interesting :D

Back