What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Surf fishing and RV's...anyone doing it.

Don

Well Known Member
My 9A is based at KXSA and it's an easy hop to several places where I can turn an overnight outing with a car into a day surf fishing trip. The problem I have is fitting rods into the plane without modifying the plane. My 9' 2 piece rod won't fit. I've got some 7.5' rods that will sort of fit (not in baggage but over the baggage out to the glare shield. The plane I'm building will have rod storage in the wings but the plane I'm flying doesn't have easily removable wing tips, making the task a bit of a challenge. Odds are I'll cut a hole in the back baggage compartment for a light weight rod case and solve the problem that way...if I have to.

My first thought was I could find a 3 piece 8-9' rod that could cast 2 or 3 oz of lead. No joy either on-line or in several well stocked tackle stores. One guy suggested I just "fly with the window open a bit." AT the local Bass Pro shop he suggested shipping the rod since it would cost so much to carry it in a plane. Enough humor, I want a solution. I've built plenty of fly rods so I went looking for a 3 piece surf rod blank that I could build up. No joy there (at least so far).

I figure someone on here must have an elegant solution to this problem and since it's escaping me, I thought I'd ask. My preference is to find a rod that fits in an RV and lacking that, I'll look at modifications.

Thanks.

Now if you had an RV-12 instead of a 9, you could just pull a wing, slide it into the lightning holes, and be on your way in about five minutes. :)

Now if you had an RV-12 instead of a 9, you could just pull a wing, slide it into the lightning holes, and be on your way in about five minutes. :)

Could I remove the wing alone or do I need a second person? Of course I'd have to take the wing off when I get to my destination, take the rod(s) out and put the wing back on....fish...repeat when departing and when home. Now 20 minutes and that cuts into my fishing time too much. <g>

Actually, I was planning to put a locking door on the 9A wing tip for the one I'm building and installing a "rod case" permanently in the wing. Instant access to the rods w/o removing a wing.

The 12 is a cool plane and I'd love one but I have a wife and she swears I already have 2 more planes than I need. Thanks for the idea.

Don, take a look at the rods from Okumafishing.com. They are two piece however should fit easily if you get the 9 footers. I have two of their 3 piece trolling rods and they have been excellent.
George

easy mod for rod

It's an easy mod for an RV. Cut a 6" hole in the baggage bulkhead, and install a "windsock" made from lightweight nylon that hangs from the aft bulkheads with tie wraps or lacing . Slide your rods in and go fishing. Billy Mitchell field on Hatteras will finish the mission. Low cost, no weight.

Hi Don! Great to see you flying...AND fishing!!

I like to fly to Block Island (Rhode Island) for a lot or reasons. It's a great destination airport and reachable from you in about 2.5 hours. When owning and flying a plane cut into my kayak fishing time, I decided to buy a surf rod for the task. It's funny how I can get to all the places I used to love to fish, but I can't bring the kayak anymore! Anyway, Block Island is Iconic for Stripers and certainly a great place to shore fish. Anyway, I have no problem getting a 9' rod in my 7. I think I put it across the back of the baggage area with the butt in the corner behind me. You wife might have the other end lightly tapping her in the back but I don't remember it being a bad fit.

Good luck and post some catch pics!!

Andy

PS. You can fly to KBLM and fly to the island in my plane. I'll show you around.

Hi Don! Great to see you flying...AND fishing!!

I like to fly to Block Island (Rhode Island) for a lot or reasons. It's a great destination airport and reachable from you in about 2.5 hours. When owning and flying a plane cut into my kayak fishing time, I decided to buy a surf rod for the task. It's funny how I can get to all the places I used to love to fish, but I can't bring the kayak anymore! Anyway, Block Island is Iconic for Stripers and certainly a great place to shore fish. Anyway, I have no problem getting a 9' rod in my 7. I think I put it across the back of the baggage area with the butt in the corner behind me. You wife might have the other end lightly tapping her in the back but I don't remember it being a bad fit.

Good luck and post some catch pics!!

Andy

PS. You can fly to KBLM and fly to the island in my plane. I'll show you around.

Andy,

You're on. When are your available to fly up to Block Island? And I have a 9', 2 pc rod and I can't make it fit. That's why I'm looking for a 3 piece rod. I may well do the "wind sock" mod mentioned above. It' looks easy and will take care of my issues. The joys of experimental aviation, eh? I couldn't do that (legally) in my Cherokee.

Don

Don,

If your "shop" is crowded and you want to do the mod at my hangar, just give me a few hours notice and I'll be ready for you. My shop even has a sewing machine :)

Don, I am finally hoping for good enough weather to get off the field to my condition inspection tomorrow. After that, I am in Maine for the week after labor day. Any other weekend day with modest winds on the island! It's a quick 50 minute hop from me so I always consider it anytime I fly. September and October should be good. I could also be talked into a weekday if the weather is really nice!!:D

Incidentally, if you know of some good Redfish spots off the beach, I'm in!!

Back