What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hicks Field

s10sakota

Well Known Member
I've found some real nice hangar homes I am interested in at Hicks Field. I don't even know where to start trying to learn about living in a hangar home. So the obvious place was to search VAF and see what I could find.

My enthusiasm was slightly dampened after reading about horror stories with the HOA's!

Anyone have the inside scoop on Hicks? How is the HOA? Do people get along well? What are the taxes like? Is a guy going to knock on my door one day and say "we need a new runway so you need to write a check for $25,000"?

Any info an insider might share would be very much appreciated!

Thank you.

Hicks hangar homes

Call me! I live at Hicks, I am on the Board of Directors and I am the current airport manager. I can probably answer questions.

817-992-2411

I spent three days at Hicks a year ago thanks to Jay Pratt's outstanding hospitality. I would love to retire to a dream place like Hicks.

Jay Pratt, Beacon Cafe, Hicks Field

We had an EAA Ch 34 breakfast at the Beacon Cafe at Hicks Field this morning.
The breakfast was great and the fellowship entertaining.
Saw the oldest flying Beechcraft Bonanza according to the owner...1947 with a wood prop.
Met with the local DFW Zenith Aircraft builders group. Mostly low wing Zenith 601 & 650 builders.
Then, we had a blast at Jay Pratt's hangar.
Jay has a picture of himself from his younger days hanging on the wall upstairs...I tell you he looked like Robert Redford's twin.
Loved hearing about his Caribbean sailing days, his Cessna 180 trips, how he built his Northstar Super Cub, "Shooter", and his RV-8 stories.
You could see and feel his passion and love of aviation.
Our group said this was their favorite EAA event.
It was a very educational tour hearing about builders not sticking to Van's suggested items, and costing themselves dearly in time and money.
Also, we got to meet Jay's RV cats. You'll have to ask him about that.
When you come to the Dallas/Fort Worth area, you'll enjoy stopping at this little airport.

I once owned a hangar home at Hicks, trust Mike Reddick, Jay or Bob, they can answer your questions. Hicks is also RV heaven in North Texas, you will never be bored.

Jay's been trying to get me to move there for years. Hangar homes?? he didn t mention that, just his apartment at RV Central. HUM--

Back