What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

seat belts

6 Gun

Well Known Member
Anyone using 5 point seat belts from sumitt racing catalog if so which ones .
Thanks Bob

Thanks Bob

I don't think the summit racing units are any cheaper than Crow apples-to-apples. The only shortcomming on the Crow units is the hole size in the end fittings requires a bushing to fit our mounts.

Last edited:
I have a set from summit in the 442. Five point turn to release, I was thinking the same thing.

Thanks Bob

After a recent encounter with some radical turbulence, I installed a G-Force 5-point harness in my RV-6. The 3" latch-link system is heavier than the standard belts, but when cinched down feels much more secure.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gfr-6020bk

I consider them a great bargain at $70, I've been using the same harness in my kit car since 2004. I added a 12" aluminum extension to the shoulder harness cable at the longeron fitting so the original cable could be retained.

Last edited:
I am using the Simson five point, three inch harness. I needed to machine some spacers for the mounts. Comfortable, easy to use and appear to be holding up well. I was carful e to get the racing body approved ones but not sure it matters.

I don't think the summit racing units are't any cheaper than Crow apples-to-apples. The only shortcomming on the Crow units is the hole size in the end fittings requires a bushing to fit our mounts.

It's the lack of color choices that is keeping me on the fence for a reasonably priced set of belts for my-10. I need a set in a tan color to match my Flightline Interior's upholstery. No way am I going to spring for the high dollar Hooker's so I am also looking for alternatives. Its a shame Crow won't accommodate a special color request even though tan a quite common.

Hey 6 GUN,

Which airplane are you going to put the seat belts in.....NJUNK or NCRAP? Just sayin'...............

Crow Spacers

I installed Crow belts in my 8 and instead of using a spacer I went to Fastenall and bought some washers with the internal diameter consistent with the bolt size (I think it was a 1/4" bolt 4-) and the outside diameter equivalent to the diameter of the mounting hole in the crow harnesses. I used 3 washers to fill in the gap between the bolt and harness and a larger standard sized washer on the back to prevent and movement of the inner washers. Cost about 25 cents per bracket, no slop and perfect fit. Dont bother machining a bushing. Get it done and fly the plane!

criteria

Well......you've just got to know 6 GUN to understand. Seriously though, the belts that Sam Buchanan suggested work very well and I have used them both in race cars and airplanes. Mine were always black. They match most all interior colors. Did not intend to be unproductive.......my comment was an inside joke.

Last edited:
Seat Belts

Got me again Dave but remember my prop is 74.5" and yours is only 74".
I just ordered 3" jdm camlock black belts off Ebay $ 49 each free shipping when they arrive I will post a report.
Bob

Hey 6 GUN,

You'll like the belts and I know you like the difference in cost. Have you bought the seats yet?

It looks like our inside joke has offended a few people.....I guess I should not have teased you on a public forum like this. Hopefully the post made you smile. I apologize to you if you considered my post unproductive or rude. That was not my intention. I'm just trying to keep up with you.......and, yes, I do remember that you have a bigger engine and longer propeller.

When are we going to crank it again and should I come get the spinner?

Back