What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 luggage compartment

flyguy44

Well Known Member
Friend
Looking for inexpensive luggage compartment piston/keep it open idea...any suggestions welcome.

Front Luggage door holder

I have one from McMaster Carr sping enclosed instead of a gas strut. Should last a long time to a search there are pictures on this site. I don't have the part number handy but I can get it if needed.

How about a simpler, cheaper solution. A couple of bucks at Home Depot. Mine been installed for five years and works fine even in gusty conditions.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Chris

I've got the same one as Chris - cheap, effective, not very fancy...though the gold anodizing adds a little bling to the compartment! ;)

I use the marine spring in the above post and it works great! You can even use your head to open the door further when you working on the back of the instrument panel :)

I've got the same one as Chris - cheap, effective, not very fancy...though the gold anodizing adds a little bling to the compartment! ;)

Here's one more vote for Chris' Home Depot version, although the brass bling was just too bright for me; I painted it gray to match the rest of the interior. Can't tell a difference from a $50 Aircraft Spruce part, and I think the actual cost was maybe 5 bucks?

Last edited:
Here's one more vote for Chris' Home Depot version, although the brass bling was just too bright for me; I painted it gray to match the rest of the interior. Can't tell a difference from a $50 Aircraft Spruce part, and I think the actual cost was maybe 5 bucks?

+4. I have the same Home Depot Aircraft Baggage Compartment Hinge.
Works perfect.

Back