What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CO sensor or not?

If you're asking whether it's worth a small investment to give the pilot an early indication of the presence of a silent killer....well, YES.

Search for "monoxide" in the VAF search, and please read the threads.

I bought the Sensorcon Industrial Pro sensor, $169 model purchased directly from Sensorcon. I velcro'd it to my canopy sill, directly to the left of my ear so I'll hear the alarm beeper if it goes off.

If you still need convincing, PLEASE watch this video. This guy should not have survived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfzfP5CZBj8

Last edited:
Just like the CHEAP sick on card that changes color, all CO sensors that I have looked at has a life limit and will need replaced at some period of time. The Flight Data System one that Mike linked to above has the longest life of any CO sensor that I have found yet. IF anyone knows of a sensor that last longer than the 10-year one above, please let us know.

My first electronic CO detector lasted 3-years.

We have the Aithre detector which links to the ipad or phone and records. The software also includes a bunch of other data, like altitude, which can be useful. We also use it for oxygen saturation (using their oximeter).

I have an Arithre displaying on my Dynon.

I can’t see why not to install a co sensor. It’s not too expensive and it could save your life. Wired into the panel is much more convenient and accurate in the long run than a portable unit to turn on every flight or a sticker to regularly replace.

I am not sure if this breaks any VAF rules, but I just watched this, and it made me glad that I just installed a digital CO detector in my RV-12.

Pilot Dan Bass Unconscious As Mooney Crashes CO Poisoning

https://youtu.be/MfzfP5CZBj8

Last edited:
I have an Arithre displaying on my Dynon.

I can’t see why not to install a co sensor. It’s not too expensive and it could save your life. Wired into the panel is much more convenient and accurate in the long run than a portable unit to turn on every flight or a sticker to regularly replace.

Same here. Very satisfied with it. Little sucker is accurate enough to read the ambient CO in the air in L.A. (verified by SCAQMD data) at just single-digit PPMs. And, since it's integrated into the EFIS, I get an audible warning announcement in the headset when it goes above a set level (currently I have it at 35 ppm). Also has a 10 year lifespan.

Highly recommend.

I went with the CO Guardian (wired to AFS) and will likely add a second

CO poisoning is not something to mess with.

Having experienced CO due to an cracked exhaust I have a Guardian monitor.

On my flight it was a morning flight after fresh snow. I remember my passenger falling asleep even though it was still early in the day and we’d had a good sleep the night before.
But similar to being drunk your ability to recognise the impairment is effected. So you know somethings not right but can’t figure it out. I remember coming into land and feeling not 100% Next realising I wasn’t doing a very good job of the flare and feeling the runway was rushing up. A bounce then some adrenaline kicked in and I recovered and landed ok. As I opened the window I remember it felt like my head exploded. My passenger woke up and we both had splitting headaches.
An inspection of the exhaust found a small crack inside the heater muff.
My best friend had a similar experience in another aircraft. So as rare as it may seem it does happen.

When you’ve spent thousands on your pride and joy a good monitor is pretty cheap insurance.

Peter

You all inspired me... I just placed my order for an Aithre Shield 1.0. I'm in the process of doing a G3x system in my Glasair and $200 is a drop in the bucket compared to the total cost of the upgrade.

Ironically, I also recently stumbled upon the video of the guy in the Mooney who passed out and miraculously survived the crash while unconscious. It seems almost crazy to NOT install something like this when I'm considering spending almost twice this amount on an iPad mount!

To keep this RV related, my RV3 will be receiving a G3x system after I finish practicing on the Glasair! :)

I am pro CO detector...

I am definitely pro CO detector.
I went with the CO guardian and will tell you I would not buy this one again. I would get one of the 2 other options mentioned in this thread.

Reason: The descriptions of the different models contradict themselfs. One of the big Experimental avionic suppliers that everyone knows here actually told me they don't recommend them after I had bough it and the instructions are horrible and the unit is super long. It's actually that long that I have trouble closing the canopy on my RV14 because I had the panel cut and now I have to recut it.... of course this could have been avoided if I had properly measured it but I guess I didn't think about the unit being thaaaaaat long.

YMMV

absolutely yes CO alarm

CO poisoning is not at all uncommon in GA, unfortunately.

This sensor has served me well for many years. It is sensitive enough to roll over to "1" ppm in steep climbs as some of the exhaust finds its way back to the cabin through the tailcone. The alarm is loud enough to punch through noise-canceling headsets.

I just received this one from abroad, and at first glance it appears every bit as good at one fourth the price, plus it uses common batteries and has a superior user interface (the other one has a tricky turn-off procedure). We'll see about longevity and sensitivity in actual use.

Thanks for spending my money

First I have Steinair maxing out my Visa, and now you guys. Thanks for spending my money.

After reading this, I plan to order one as soon as Visa lets me leave home with it.
(for you young guys, there was a Visa commercial that said, "Dont leave home without it" In my case, visa is asking to "Please leave home without us")

+2 same setup. Seems very sensitive. I can watch the CO rise from exhaust when the door is open and the wind just right.
+3. I have the Aithre EX 2.0 wired to one of the analog inputs on my G3x Touch with caution and warning limits programmed to generate CAS messages. The sensor goes through a powerup self-test routine that sweeps the analog output from max to min so you can see that it's working.

Wouldn't leave home without it!

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks All. CO Monitor FER SHER

Glad they don't use much power. My system is getting pretty close to 60 A.

I am heavily invested in this topic, and have some viewpoints that I think make or break it for me.

I and a few others down here got the AITHRE Shield EX2.0 & 3.0 sensors installed after Oshkosh 2019.

They work. They are reliable, they do not have a consumable fuel cell that degrades like the Guardian, and even after 10 years, some accuracy drift which is not likely is not going to make them useless, even if it were 10%.

What makes the difference between the Aithre units is they will alert you by either audio from your Skyview or G3X. Set them up correctly and you will be alarmed by the system. They also integrate to an iOs device which will data log and alarm you via bluetooth and they have a great O2 service as well.

If you go portable you want a big visible flashing indicator, and you want one that you will still hear in flight with a headset on. The Shield 4.0 ticks these boxes and is small, yet powerful.

The kinds you buy for your motorhome etc may not be so alerting in a cockpit in flight. So before you waste money on a "domestic" one just buy the Aithre. If you go portable use it in your RV and your RV as well.

The Shield 1.0 is not longer stocked or produced. To future proof install the 3.0 unit.

https://aithreaviation.com/collections/technology-products

If you are in Australia or NZ https://www.candoitaustralia.com.au/collections/aithre-in-flight-health-equipment

Hope that is helpful.

ATSB fatal crash report https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2017/aair/ao-2017-118/

.........SNIP........
The Shield 1.0 is not longer stocked or produced. To future proof install the 3.0 unit. .......SNIP........

I guess I’m lucky, just bought my Shield 1.0 directly from Aithre about a month ago.

Hang on......correction, there was about 6-10 of them late last year in stock and they were not selling real quick. Aithre asked me did I want them all which given I stock the newer and improved 2.0 and mostly 3.0 units, I chose not to.

I am surprised there were any left.

Aithre had no intention of carrying the 1.0 any further. So you may have been one of the last few. ;)

To those who have a Co detector, what numbers, if any, do you see in PPM on a regular flight? On a rotax 914 LSA that I fly, I’ve seen between 0 and up to 8 ppm depending on power setting and AOA. It was going over 10 before we changed some pipes that may have been leaking..

To those who have a Co detector, what numbers, if any, do you see in PPM on a regular flight? On a rotax 914 LSA that I fly, I’ve seen between 0 and up to 8 ppm depending on power setting and AOA. It was going over 10 before we changed some pipes that may have been leaking..

Zero ppm. I saw 3 ppm once when I was doing a run-up with the tail into the wind.

On a regular flight in a 912 LSA the peak PPM is 18. The meter I use normally displays zero unless PPM goes above 30, but it has a separate button to recall peak PPM so that is where 18 comes from, for the whole duration of the flight. I've checked the exhaust system and not found any leaks so it could be negative pressure in the cockpit that sucks in exhaust further back in the fuselage. 18 PPM is within safe limits for occupational health and safety.

Why is this a discussion? Just buy one

Buy cheap and get what you paid for. Spend some money and maybe you will be able to survive the situation.
50 years ago I worked at a car dealership for 2 months doing transition training to get out of the Army. I noticed most of the mechanics were getting head aches by the end of the week. So was I. One guy was sick almost every Friday. The shop had an "approved" ventilation system in the floor that wasn't working like it was supposed to
Nobody thought much about it. I DID. Because I had previously worked in a shop that had really no way to get rid of the exhaust. OH ya we put pipes out the door. BUT it is cold outside. I have experience the excesses of to much exhaust.
I don't care how much the detector costs. YOU SHOULD NOT BE FLYING WITH OUT ONE!!! PERIOD.. We can buy something to maybe tell us we need to be finding a landing place why not?
Is that to firm enough for you???? Take it for what it's worth. I'm alive
Enjoy the journey Art

The Shield 1.0 is not longer stocked or produced. To future proof install the 3.0 unit.

I bought one directly from Aithre on the day you posted this. Still available. $200 plus $10 shipping. Supposed to arrive on Monday.

Zero is good

Zero ppm. I saw 3 ppm once when I was doing a run-up with the tail into the wind.
Agree completely - it should be zero during normal phases of flight. I had exactly the same experience as Sid during a runup once.

After 18 months of watching results over several RV's I can say that there is not normal here. Each plane is its own lab experiment.

My RV10, hardly ever see anything. Most I have seen is 5ppm and once LOP it went to zero smartly. Usually it is 1-3ppm if anything. I must have cabin leaks in just the right places :)

Another RV10 with Air Con, usually get up to 20-23PPm at the most in the climb and with the AC on. Once level or when LOP in a climb it goes away over several minutes.

RV8 with breeze behind on the ground taxiing and the canopy back a bit......25PPM almost every time. Take off and climb and it slowly reduces. LOP in cruise back to zero.

Others have varying results in between.

I get AWESOME customer feedback, be they the EX series or the portable 4.0.

When you are LOP you are generating the least CO, virtually and to all intents it is none. Another benefit most people never consider.

I bought one directly from Aithre on the day you posted this. Still available. $200 plus $10 shipping. Supposed to arrive on Monday.

CONGRATULATIONS : You may have purchased the last one, or at least the last of three now. As I posted previously, I was offered the last 6 or so back in November. I did not think they would still be there. But everyone I know wants the iOS app connectivity and logging features of the 2.0, not to mention it is a source of secondary alarming. The founder and owner and I are discussing this very topic at present as to the future and my suggestion is not to make any more 1.0. We are not doing the market any favours now there is a superior unit.

Quick question....does the Aithre 3.0 have an audible cabin alarm in addition to the PFD warning?
Good question...........The answer is YES, the unit itself does not have an alarm in itself but the iOS connectivity of the 2.0 and 3.0 and eDot5.0 means you get audible alarms from your phone of iPad to your audio panel or headset. Just connect your phone up as normal.

Hope that helps folks.

My Pro tip is this, buy the 3.0 model. Why? Because when you discover how much better you feel flying with Oxygen even in the 8-12,000' range, or at night (always) you will benefit from the SPO2 and tank pressure monitoring that you get as well. It is a small investment for say 1 x Illyrian and 1 x Altus Meso plus a AEROX system for $700 to gain so much human performance. https://www.aerox.com/build-my-aerox-portable-oxygen-system/

Disclaimer: unless you are in AU or NZ I am not making a cent. If you are, then sure but its a value add to my business for pilot safety and not much of a profit generator. Actually it is hardly worth it, but I do believe in your safety.

Any questions feel free to ask.

end of life ex 1 confirmed

Hello fellow builders. I see that there is discussion from my friend David Brown and others about the Shield EX 1 status.

We'll support them, but it is bittersweet to confirm that we are retiring the EX 1.0. This was our first installed product and we put so much effort into its development, but it hasn't been as popular as our newer products with the in-app supplemental trend monitoring and more sensitive 1ppm resolution.

Van's is now offering the EX 3.0 with their RV-12iS and recommending its installation as part of a recent exhaust leak service bulletin, which has increased awareness of the EX 3.0.

We have 2 of the EX 1.0 left in stock and parts to build another 20. Once those are done, we'll be moving on to focus on the EX 2.0 and EX 3.0.

See you at SNF.

Jim Ruttler, President & Patent Attorney
Aithre Inc.
RV-10 built and flying 41103

If you are not sold yet, check out;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfzfP5CZBj8

His story made my mind up. I saw him present live. Couple of interesting notes, is that his symptoms never progressed like we are all taught. I've volunteered as an EMT and we are taught the same thing that the symptoms will progress. His never didn't. The other thing is that everything he did recognize symptoms he was very able to reason them off very easily.

I have heard of atlas one other instance where someone caught a leak due to his story, and they were about to embark on a long trip. Can't prove something that didn't happen, but the story is told as Dan's story saved his life too.

The last thing I got from Dan's story.....Shoulder Harness, I personally know of an incident where the pilots didn't have Cessna stenciled on their chest backwards afterwards because they were wearing should harnesses.

Back