What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Service Letter SL-00003: Optional Fuel Tank Attach Angle Removal

greghughespdx

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Van's Aircraft has published SL-00003, which approves the optional removal of the F-1054 Tank Attach Angles from existing aircraft. It is at the discretion of the owner whether or not to make this change. At times the attach angle may form cracks, and we have determined through analysis and testing that the component is not necessary. Therefore, owners who wish to do so may remove the part from their aircraft.

It's not often this sort of thing happens, but the short version is this: Analysis with modern design and testing software allowed us to validate during our evaluation of reported cracks that the part was not necessary, nor providing structural value. Whether cracked or not, the part may be removed as desired. This part will no longer be included or specified for RV-10 aircraft kits sold in the future.

That's a bit concerning. If the wing is flexing there, should the T-1005 be relieved to prevent it from potentially rubbing the fuselage? And if that part is unsupported, will it potentially impact the aileron mechanism, either with wear or possibly binding?

On that note, if the T-1005 does not need to be connected to the fuselage, would it be Ok to introduce a cutout or lightening holes in the web? Those who are paying strict attention to the weight of their kit would probably love to see a redesign of the part to save yet more weight. ;)

it's clear to me also that the angle is not needed. if it were mine, I would just take the bolts out. big components that flex (wing) should only be restrained by other big components (spars). when you start adding little parts like this in the load path they just create problems. put a label on the bracket so you know the holes do not require bolts.

Last edited:
Back