What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder cable exit fairings

Weefle

Well Known Member
I’m at the stage where I would like to install the optional (Cleveland) rudder cable exit fairings on the L&R skins. I would prefer to install these on the inside and fill the outside gaps later.
Can someone tell me if I will be in trouble down the road getting the cables in? I see there is a swaged clevis on the rudder end but I can’t tell from others pictures if it will fit. What’s on the other end of the cable? I hate to have to re-do things later on.

Thanks

Keith

You will need the cables in place before adding the fairings. The cable ends will not go through the slots with the fairing in place.

Check out section 38 for the cable path - running the cables is easy, and they terminate at the rudder pedals. It's fine to do it pretty much any time after section 32 where you join the tailcone to the fuselage (and before then, you can always just run the tips out but leave the rest of the cable inside your tailcone).

Also keep in mind it's not hard to access that last part of the cone later either, from the side and top openings.

I have multiple extras of these fairings if interested. Would let 'em go cheap!

Do you happen to have ones that actually fit the cable well? I had gotten those from somewhere (Avery?) but they don't really sit flush with the tube and skin, was planning to make something custom with fiberglass to actually match them.

Back