What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailcone assembly order ??

Latech15

Well Known Member
I’m nearing the end of my tailcone build and I’m wondering if there is a good reason to put the battery tray panels between the first and second bulkheads before I put the rear roof skin on. It seems like if I have to get in there to buck the rivets that it would be way easier without those in place beforehand.

I would recommend leaving that last top skin off until as late as humanly possible. I permanently mounted mine when I moved my 10 to the airport and after the wings were installed. There are so many thing that you are going to want to do back there, especially if mounting avionics, that are WAY easier with the skin off.

I left mine off until it was time to permanently install the cabin cover.

I haven’t read ahead yet but aren’t you supposed to measure off of a rivet on one of those bulkheads to set the horizontal stab? Seems like you would need the rear skin on to firm up the location of that bulkhead.

Again, I’m talking about the REAR top skin. I’m pretty sure that all of the builds that I have seen have left the front top skin off until joining with the fuse but I’m asking about the rear.

There's plenty of room to work in that first tailcone section with the rear skin on. On the other hand, you will want to have anything behind that (wire routing, elevator trim servos, etc.) done before that rear skin gets riveted.

I haven’t read ahead yet but aren’t you supposed to measure off of a rivet on one of those bulkheads to set the horizontal stab? Seems like you would need the rear skin on to firm up the location of that bulkhead.

Again, I’m talking about the REAR top skin. I’m pretty sure that all of the builds that I have seen have left the front top skin off until joining with the fuse but I’m asking about the rear.

Ah, the rear... yes, that goes on. The most forward one is what I thought you were talking about. Sorry about that.

Back