What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rollins pass

rwarre

Well Known Member
Planning a trip from Eastern Co to Las. My route would be West from Den following the road to Eldora and then through Rollins pass to Kremling and then Las. Flying at 14000. Anyone ever taken that route?

When are you planning this trip? In summer that would be a great route for sightseeing and affordable escape plans in event of mechanical failure.

In winter not so much, especially given the latest snow conditions along that route. SAR would be complicated and rescue might be delayed all the while suffering hypothermia in a remote area.

If you simply need to go, fly IFR... interstate 25 to 40 and head west.

Cheers, Hans

I'd suggest that you take a look at Marshall Pass; especially in the winter. It's just southwest of KANK. It's 800 feet lower than Rollins Pass and the approaches on either side are more gradual. It's the site of the first crossing of the Continental Divide in Colorado by any railroad. Monarch Pass is less than ten miles away and it has an AWOS. In addition to offering more hospitable terrain, it's closer to a direct route from Wray to KLAS.

Cheers, David
KBTK RV-6A

Wind

The problem that is rarely talked about is wind-specifically winds aloft at low altitude. Skyvector shows 45 knots at 15,000 on that route. That has the potential to produce downdrafts that exceed the climb capability of most piston aircraft and even the lower performance turboprops.
While not on that route, an example of what I am talking about: I have encounterrd downdrafts on the downwind side of Mt Taylor near Grants NM that resulted in 1000' minute descent in a Cessna 414 will full power. In that case there was an escape route. On a Denver Las Vegas route there are many areas where there is no escape option.
Even in a light twin I have gone all the way around via El Paso and Phoenix in the winter to avoid the above.

Decided on different route

I thought this might be safer. 2V5 - Axx - Fmn - Vgt Not in any big hurry to loose money.

I thought this might be safer. 2V5 - Axx - Fmn - Vgt

Flatlander here, hoping to learn...

The above route would have Randy paralleling the Culebra Range at 15 to 20 NM, near the Colorado-New Mexico border. Assume winds from the west and northwest. Is there a rule of thumb for planning a safe distance downwind?

Winds across the Rockies

When I lived in Colorado old timers cautioned me about winds, mountain wave, etc.

I got parts off a Citabria that was 150 miles east of the front range that wave forced into the ground at a full power climb. The wind was too much for it.

Caution! I've flown RV's across the Rockies several times but no winter crossings for me! Survival options are slim if you go down.

JRS has it right. Add the "venturi" effect to low altitude winds aloft.

Here in California Central Valley, light winds at sea level can easily translate to 30+ at 10-12K over the Sierra's, and more.

I'd consider "no significant weather and light winds" might justify an attempt, but any adverse indicators (not just conditions) merits a RTB escape.

Onward and upward

I was at Centennial back in 2004 and planning a mountain jump to ABQ (Double Eagle). The winds were very bad in the passes so we went to Las Vegas, NM and then to Double Eagle, north of ABQ. From there we went to Page, AZ where we vacationed and did some flights over the Grand Canyon. Las Vegas, NV is a nice hop from page. Very scenic route and you won't need OX.

Roberta:)

I fly that area a fair bit, and if the winds at 12k' are 20 kts or greater, I don't go.

That's my limit, and it's a common one out here.

Dave

These planes are fast

I have made 4 trips from Washington to east coast February to March.

I just take the southern route across AZ and NM. The speed of these planes make it not that much longer. One nice leg I did last Match was Laughlin NV to Albuquerque, flew over the Grand Canyon then up to Monument Valley, dropped down to 1000ish feet AGL for a closer look then landed at Doubke Eagle AEG, for lunch and fuel. Double Eagle is also a nice overnight, great FBO with loaner car, they will get you a good deal on a hotel as well.

It is nice to have an out in case of engine failure, but realize you can really limit yourself route wise. You have to have some faith that the motor will keep running. These engine run for thousands of hours without an issue, it is okay to be in no mans land for 30 minutes of a 4 hour leg. That is my personal opinion, besides you see some beautiful country this way.

Winds in the mountains as said above are the big issue, if you can't clear the range with 1000' per 10 knots of wind don't go. So if wind at altitude of the mountains is 30kts you want to be at least 3000' above or more. Borrow or buy an oxygen system and learn to use it, altitude is your friend. Smoother air, tail winds going east and more time to handle the rare engine out factor.

Even in rough terrain, there are survivable places to land. Speaking of this, I use a fly fishing vest set up with essential survival gear. I also have a sleeping bag and light weight tarp for shelter just in case. I know one guy that vacuum packed his gear in a large plastic storage bag and it is permanently stored in his wingtip, they get inspected every annual. He always has his survival gear with him this way.

More hours in the air is a good thing, don't take a risk just for a lower fuel bill. I will make a longer more comfortable flight every time.

Cheers

Back