What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do FBOs let you plug in oil pan heaters?

snopercod

Well Known Member
I've never flown across the Country in the winter before and have been wondering how I will get my engine started in the expected sub-freezing temps. I have an oil pan heater but will FBOs allow me to plug it in somewhere? Should I take along a 100' extension cord? Need advice, please...

I would call the FBOs along the route

If you have an idea of which airport/FBO you might be landing at along your route, give them a call to see if they will allow it.

I guess that's what I should do, but I was trying to get an idea of what other more experienced pilots have found. When I'm traveling, gross weight is always a consideration because I always carry tools and a spare tire; I don't want to carry along an extension cord if I won't need it.

Never an issue

I have done this several locations and have never had an issue. They want your business so I am sure most would do this for you.

I also borrow the extension cord, this sometimes meant pulling the plane up close to the building.

My last trip I put the plane in a hangar, I showed the next morning, plugged in the sump heater and went and had a leisurely breakfast. Oils was toasty warm upon my return.

Happy New Year

I've never flown across the Country in the winter before and have been wondering how I will get my engine started in the expected sub-freezing temps. I have an oil pan heater but will FBOs allow me to plug it in somewhere? Should I take along a 100' extension cord? Need advice, please...

I've found most FBOs to be accommodating with plug-ins. I'd suggest you always carry an extension cord on winter x-countries (and cowl plugs). Don't assume an FBO is going to have a spare lying around. You may also want to bring a small electric space heater to keep the cockpit warm. What's a few extra pounds in the winter - if it's cold, the aircraft performance will more than offset it. Oh yeah, don't forget to offer to contribute to the warmth fund/hookup, even if it's not required.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

KUZA does

Last year my wife and I had an overnight at Rock Hill, SC KUZA, and for $5/night, I plugged in using their extension cord. I had my own, but the $5 included theirs. Bought S/S fuel before we left and there were no other charges. :D. Their outlet was next to the ramp and it was no problem. I am sure others have that as well.

I've found that some airports won't have a loaner extension cord and are actually grateful I carry one. This is especially so at the more rural or less busy airports.

Dave

I've found most FBOs to be accommodating with plug-ins. I'd suggest you always carry an extension cord on winter x-countries (and cowl plugs). Don't assume an FBO is going to have a spare lying around. You may also want to bring a small electric space heater to keep the cockpit warm. What's a few extra pounds in the winter - if it's cold, the aircraft performance will more than offset it. Oh yeah, don't forget to offer to contribute to the warmth fund/hookup, even if it's not required.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Thanks, guys!

Thanks for the tips, guys. I don't know where I'll be stopping for sure, so I guess I'll pack an extension cord just to be safe.

Purchase a extension cord with a neon lamp embedded in female connector to indicate when the power is on and avoid the frustration of returning to the plane and learning you never had power to your cord, happened to me one cold night.

I've always called ahead to make sure I can get access to an outlet if doing an overnight. It seems like the smaller airports are often the most accommodating and will even provide a hangar if available - often at no or a nominal fee. This last week I was in Marion, IA for two nights and they were able to give me access to an unheated hanger with electric for $10/night.

I bring my own extension cord, cowl plugs and sleeping bag to throw over the cowling.

Back