What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which is right for me RV-7A or RV-14A?

Tmartin66

All, I will be starting a RV build project in the near future. Here is my dilemma. It all comes down to useful load for me. My question is for those that have completed a RV-7/7A, what are some of the empty weights that you have ended up with once completed. Also, is the useful load in the 7/7A and the 14/14A useable or is it like so many certified aircraft with full fuel the useful load is not useable, due to the fact that the CG will fall outside of the envelope? I realize that it all depends on where you place the weight. I suspect that since they both are 2 place aircraft they probably don't suffer from a lot of CG problems as long as you don't overload the baggage area. The RV-14/14A has plenty of useful load, so I guess what I am trying to determine is can I get away with a RV-7/7A as it would be a more economical build.

Aircraft weights

Two things apply here... empty and gross. They are both "fuzzy" by you the Mr builder yet universal truths of gravity.

First, the empty weight of either will have more to do with you than anything else. If you want a fancy thick paint job and every doo-dad and tricky venty electronico in aircraft spruce catalog... it will weight another 100-300lbs more than Vans advertises. _OR_ you could just put in a couple small instruments a few radios, leave it bare and there's a good chance you'll come in under Vans number (many have). It's really that simple.

Second, gross weight is technically the value you put into your W&B. Yeah, that's it! RVs being grossly overpowered can get off the ground with higher gross weights than what Vans puts on the web page.... _BUT_ it won't ground handle the same, you may damage it land hard and it won't behave the same. One huge "WARNING"; the aerobatic G-limits (+6/-4) should never be even approached unless at or below aerobatic gross. Period... ever! The wing will bend and it may not break the first time...

So the short/long answer is, you'll likely have plenty of useful in either. Depending on how you shape your build and your flying mission makes more of a difference.

If you build a 7 taildragger, try to keep all the weight you can forward. My self painted 7 empty weight is 1123 with a 81.25 arm. I have a IO 360 and a Hartzell CS prop. I have some fat in the luggage compartment like the Classic Aero "Experimental" sign and the Tonnaeu cover (about 3.5 lbs). I could change out the tailwheel for a lightweight tailwheel for a little help. Electric trim adds weight to the tail but I'm not giving that up! My panel is all glass and probably very light compared to steam. I didn't weight before paint but I tried to keep it the paint light. If my wife and I fly somewhere with 100 lbs baggage and burn more than 22 gal of gas, this puts us out of GC envelope. We have eased this problem by putting heavy things forward and small heavy things in front with us. 100 lbs is a lot of stuff but with tools, tie downs, and extra oil, it adds up pretty quick. Loaded weight has never been an issue. My wife and I weigh 300 lbs together. If I could mount my ELT somewhere forward, it would help a lot but I have it mounted behind the baggage bulkhead....Anyway, what I'm trying to stress is, it takes a lot of effort to fix a tail heavy airplane but a nose heavy plane is easy to fix with a little added weight on the tail.

I love my 7 and wouldn't change my decision because I want to do aerobatics and I like the short wingspan and its really all I'll ever need. And I am a cheapskate who benefited on all the experience the builders on this site had to offer with the 7. ......But, I looked at those 2- 14's at the Petit Jean Flyin and I'm going to tell you, the 14 is one good lookin bird! The builder told me he is getting the same cruise speeds as I am burning 1 gph more than my 7 with his IO-390. The one thing I really liked about it is the seats sit higher which gets your head higher in the taller canopy so the vision must be great! I do love my slider and I'm pretty sure they do not offer that with the 14. The 14 will be an easier and quicker build but at a higher cost.

All and all, I'm glad I don't have to make that decision! But, I will tell you, your gonna be happy either way!

Last edited:
If you ignore cost the choice is simple - the RV-14.

You should view the RV-14 as a two seat RV-10. It has RV-10 wings, RV-10 flaps, RV-10 handling and RV-10 roominess. It also has the RV-10 premium price. The RV-7 will go just as fast but burn a little less gas.

My rough estimate is the RV-14 will cost you $25K over the RV-7. If you can handle the cost, and your primary mission is cross country with a passenger, the RV-14 is the pick. If not you will be very happy with the RV-7, and have a large 100LL cash reserve to fly it.

Carl

Just finished my W and B on my 7a and useful load came in at 627 lbs. on the heavy side, but mostly usable :D

Your airplane.

This is one of those questions that boil down to what you want and what you need. Both are good platforms for what they do. As said above more fuel a little more room in the 14, the 7 will roll a little faster "not much" and cost a lot less in the long run. If your need is for long CX most of the time I would look close at the 14 before building the 7, but I can tell you that the 7 can carry a good useful load of over 700 Lbs. if you build light and don't need all the toys as said above. We have the same wing on the 8 as is on the 7 and both are designed around that wings capacity. At 1800 Lbs. gross and 1008 Lbs. empty we can carry 792 Lbs. by the book and we have done just that. It just means we need to be a little bit smaller in selecting our packages to stash our load in. It is what you are comfortable with and need that counts on this one. You will be happy if you are honest with yourself and what you need either way.
Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Last edited:
If you ignore cost the choice is simple - the RV-14.

You should view the RV-14 as a two seat RV-10. It has RV-10 wings, RV-10 flaps, RV-10 handling and RV-10 roominess. It also has the RV-10 premium price. The RV-7 will go just as fast but burn a little less gas.

My rough estimate is the RV-14 will cost you $25K over the RV-7. If you can handle the cost, and your primary mission is cross country with a passenger, the RV-14 is the pick. If not you will be very happy with the RV-7, and have a large 100LL cash reserve to fly it.

Carl

I don't understand the logic that makes this a simple choice. I see the -14 as a continuation of things that happen to many vehicles over their life meaning they get bigger, heavier and less performance for more money (both initial cost and operation cost)

Yes, the useful load is noted as being more than the 7 or 7A. I think that would be the only thing to drive me to a -14 if useful load was an issue. For me and my wife, it is not.

On second thought, I guess if you ignore the original purchase price and operating cost like you said then yes a 14 is more attractive. However, I still think I might go for a big motor 7 instead in order to get the speed over the 14.

Last edited:
Build time?

If build time is a big factor the 14 might be a better choice, I talked to Stoney Ware at Petit Jean this weekend who has just finished a -14 and he mentioned that there is quite a bit of difference in build time due to the punched/match hole construction, no match drilling, deburring etc and many more fabricated parts. He finished his standard kit in 2+ years, my -7 took 5+ years.

Baggage space has more cubes but is still 100 Lbs, 0-360 still works, more cabin space, sits higher on the gear (needs the step), looks good :D

Notwithstanding the above I love my -7 and the way it handles and flies :D

Figs

Really you need to decide what is the motivating factor that defines your decision. Is it costs to build? Costs to fly once built? Build times? Build ease? Stuff you can pack in it? Speed it flies? Climb capabilities? Curb Appeal? Etc.

There are a great number of parameters that each type might have, or might not have, you will have to honestly answer for yourself. I am not so sure one would be dissatisfied with any RV one decides on. So the answer comes down to some specific personal requirements YOU think are the most important for YOU.

Oh, by the way, I noticed you are in Washington, OK. you are pretty much in spitting distance from me: http://www.airnav.com/airport/53OK

If you want to come over and go fly sometime all you need to do is let me know when will work best for you and I can take you up. There are others around with RV-7s that I am sure will take you up. I know of 2 RV-14s being built in the OKC area. So you should get some first hand exposure to these planes to help make up you mind. PM me if you are interested in taking a flight.

I struggled with the same decision, comparing useful load. I am a big dude, and that extra little bit of room and useful load were very attractive to me.

However, I ultimately decided to go with an RV-7. For me the deciding factors were:
1. Why am I building?
2. What kind of help is available for a new builder like me?

Because the 14 and 7 are so close in performance and specs, those 2 factors made the most difference to me. The reason I am building is because I want to craft an airplane! Some folks just want to build for the only purpose of owning an RV, but for me I wanted to build for the pure enjoyment of building an airplane. The RV-14 is an easier plane to build, no doubt. But because I wanted a project I can build with my hands that would last me a few years, and serve as a "hobby" the 7 was just better suited for that. It had the right balance of ease of building and quality of parts.

For the second factor, I wanted to be sure I had plenty of resources to go to if I ever get stuck on something. The RV-14 is a very new kit. There just isn't a lot of builder experience yet. Vans builds a very good kit, but sometimes you just get stuck. There are thousands of builders and thousands upon thousands of build hours for the RV-7 that you can lean on for help. For my "mission" that was important.

Like others have said, regardless of which one you choose, you will love it, and it will be a good airplane.

Back