What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AUA, Inc. (Aviation Underwriters Inc.) Issues?

Grezdlitn

Friend
I've been doing business with AUA, Inc for years. Always great service and reasonable premiums. As of last week no one answers the phone anymore!
Anyone else experiencing this problem?

wow, I hope not. I got a hold of them not last week but the week before after I recieved a notice from the underwriter of my policy saying that is is being canceled for nonpayment of premium! I paid a entire year in advance in October! :eek: I called AUA and the lady there said they were on it and it was just a computer glitch or something? and the issue will be fixed ASAP! She also said that there are a lot of people with the same thing so they are busy scrambling to get it fixed. So we will see about this....

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. We are in exactly the same boat. We have not been able to get notification that the policy has been reinstated and they don't answer the phone! Not sure where we go from here.

On another note, I see your from Ozark, Al.. Small world....graduated from high school there in '72.

Issues Resolved!

Just received word from Chartis, the underwriters, that the issues have been resolved and re-instatements are on the way. Flying will resume!:)

Hi Mark ( I think it's Mark....right?),

I've been with AUA for quite a few years now after having issues with 'that other company'. They have been wonderful for me....I insure my F1 Rocket and my RV7 with them. I got the same letter and called AUA last week....Mac told me about the paperwork snafu. They called me today and sent me the 'reinstatement' via email.

Not that my burnt up body will be flying anytime soon but it's still good to know in case the hangar falls in :).

Hope you guys are well....I wish I could keep an airplane as long as you guys have kept yours....it's one beautiful machine!!!

Just received word from Chartis, the underwriters, that the issues have been resolved and re-instatements are on the way. Flying will resume!:)

Hey Rick,

Good to hear from you! Your right, the name is Mark, and yes Mac has been great to work with for the past 20+ years. Got a little concerned about the speed of their response but all is well now. My faith in AUA is reinstated!

I'm still flying Grezdlitn, more now than for the last few years, been busy trying to keep my head above water. Thanks for the kudos on Grezdlitn but it won't hold a candle to the hardware you turn out! Your Rocket is my all time favorite!!!!

Hope your doing well,
Mark and Pete Rowe

I received a certified letter today telling me my insurance is canceled due to non payment by AUA. I am a bit concerned because normally a underwriter would not go to this step until they had asked AUA for payment. This suggest to me that AUA was asked for and failed to forward my payment made in Nov to the underwriter. I will find out more tomorrow and post what I learn.

George

I received a certified letter today telling me my insurance is canceled due to non payment by AUA. I am a bit concerned because normally a underwriter would not go to this step until they had asked AUA for payment. This suggest to me that AUA was asked for and failed to forward my payment made in Nov to the underwriter. I will find out more tomorrow and post what I learn.

George

George,

I too received the same letter from Chartis on Monday. I sent a quick email off to AUA (Corey Maxwell - [email protected]) and he responded almost immediately at 10pm! He claimed there was a contract dispute between AUA and Chartis that is now resolved. I received a email from Chartis yesterday at 4pm reinstating my insurance.

It is unfortunate that these things happen, but I was very happy with how quickly AUA and Chartis resolved this issue.

AUA called me back early this morning. They have assured me the problem was clerical. I hope that is the case. I have not yet been sent a reinstatement of my insurance but am told its on the way.

George

20 Years...

I've been with AUA for 20 years with amazing service. Corey Maxwell recently took over the business and moved it to BHM however, the service and hospitality remain.

Try emailing him first, then call.
[email protected]

Smokey

I have no doubt that AUA and Chartis hearts were in the right place but am a little perturbed that they chose to settle there "contract dispute" at the expense of the policy holders peace of mind.

AUA/Chartis update

RV'ers,

I just received a letter from Chartis stating that they were terminating its business relationship with AUA and that I must select an insurance broker that they do business with.

This is not cool at all. I spoke with Mac, and he said to hang tight, he would research it and get back with everyone. Reading the Chartis letter, I need to act soon, though.

Thoughts?

Sam Swift

I've known the principles of the old classic "AUA" and the newer management of AUA for many years. I hope they get it all resolved.

Good folks.

Tj

Sam....I got the same letter from Chartis today. They must be picking on us Swift drivers:rolleyes:.
I will contact AUA in the morning.
Dave

I am also with AUA, and have had some serious issues (such as they forgot to include one of my planes on the final policy!), but Phil Wampam (sp?) told me that the issues were all ironed out. Apparently, there was some house cleaning during the move, and the person who dropped my coverage was no longer there. I have not gone to the PO today to see if I received the same letter, but will sure do.
If the previous posters get any intel, please pass it along.

Sam....I got the same letter from Chartis today. They must be picking on us Swift drivers:rolleyes:.
I will contact AUA in the morning.
Dave

Hey Dave!

I hope they get it resolved. Jerry Kirby got the same letter, as well as one of my inferior-RV-owning friends.:D

Sam

My next door neighbor (RV9) got one today also. The Chartis letter listed all of the brokers they use and included an authorization letter for changing brokers. He asked my opinion and I told him it's time to move on. I dropped AUA last year due to consistently poor service.

Insurance4Pilots, LLC - Lisa Otey, Owner/Founder

I worked for AUA over 25 years until it was sold.... long story. I started my own business last year Insurance4Pilots, LLC and would like for all of you to know that I would be honored to represent and help you with your aviation insurance needs. Please visit our website for recommendations for Insurance4Pilots, LLC We ARE appointed with Chartis and all other major aviation markets. Please contact me and I will be glad to help you with your aviation insurance.
Kindest Regards,
Lisa K. Otey
Owner/Founder
Insurance4Pilots, LLC
P.O. Box 1188
Kernersville, NC 27285
(336) 392-6555 cell
(336) 546-7994 office
[email protected]
http://www.insurance4pilots.com
www.facebook.com/insurance4pilots

I am also with AUA, and have had some serious issues (such as they forgot to include one of my planes on the final policy!), but Phil Wampam (sp?) told me that the issues were all ironed out. Apparently, there was some house cleaning during the move, and the person who dropped my coverage was no longer there. I have not gone to the PO today to see if I received the same letter, but will sure do.
If the previous posters get any intel, please pass it along.

I received the same letter yesterday. With the thoughts of what would have happened had I had an incident in the plane that ended up without coverage, I think I will be finding a broker with a proven track record.

Skysmith has treated me very well the past few years. I had AUA the first year but got an uneasy feeling about them and swapped.

Glad I did now!!!

Aviation Insurance!!

Hello.

I deleted your recent VAF post about __insurance__ for the following reason(s):

__ Civility / Tone
__ Not RV-related
_x_ Commercial promotion by non-advertiser
__ Mod/Policy bashing
__ Politics / Government
__ Illegal video clip
__ eBay / Barnstormers / etc. (classified-specific rules at: www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=8208)

The posting rules are explained in greater detail at: www.vansairforce.net/rules.htm

If you feel the need, please direct comments regarding this to the owner of the site (Doug Reeves). His contact info can be found at: www.DeltaRomeo.com

Thank you.
Doug Reeves (site owner)

Last edited by a moderator:
Everybody remain calm

I'm out of the insurance biz now, so I guess I can comment without bias.

There have been quite a few recomendations and a number of self-recomendations for brokers to replace AUA, if necessary.

1) DO NOT call all these brokers and ask them to quote. They ALL represent all the available insurers and they all can get you more or less the same terms. Involving multiple brokers won't get you a better deal. It will only cause you to have 3 or 4 brokers calling you and telling you that they have a great deal for you - each with incomplete market info. It will drive you nuts, nothing else.

2) Don't feel a need to jump ship with AUA immediatly. Your insurance contract is with Chartis - not AUA. Your coverage is not in jeporday and your policy won't be cancelled. If Chartis cancelled AUA's broker appointment, then, eventually, AUA won't be able to request service issues (policy changes, requests for certificates, pilot changes, etc) and they won't be able to renew. None of this is an emergency, unless your policy renews tomorrow.

3) Don't know what AUA's problems might be. But - insurers usually only cancel appointments because of premium payment issues or failure to maintaing Errors and Omissions coverage, or something like that. (Remember - you pay your premium to the broker and the broker has to pay the insurer.) The broker also has to maintain those funds in trust - if you cancel your policy, he has to give the unused premiums back.

4) If you switch brokers mid-term, the new broker will most likely not be able to return commissions on return premium issues. Make sure you know how you'd be getting the commission portion of return premiums back on mid-term changes. Probably worth a call to Chartis at the number provided on the letter they sent. Ask for Greg Sterling. He's the manager of the Light Aircraft Division (LAD).

Hope thus helps. Good luck.

Jeff

There have been quite a few recomendations and a number of self-recomendations for brokers to replace AUA, if necessary.

1) DO NOT call all these brokers and ask them to quote. They ALL represent all the available insurers and they all can get you more or less the same terms. Involving multiple brokers won't get you a better deal. It will only cause you to have 3 or 4 brokers calling you and telling you that they have a great deal for you - each with incomplete market info. It will drive you nuts, nothing else.

2) Don't feel a need to jump ship with AUA immediatly. Your insurance contract is with Chartis - not AUA. Your coverage is not in jeporday and your policy won't be cancelled. If Chartis cancelled AUA's broker appointment, then, eventually, AUA won't be able to request service issues (policy changes, requests for certificates, pilot changes, etc) and they won't be able to renew. None of this is an emergency, unless your policy renews tomorrow.

3) Don't know what AUA's problems might be. But - insurers usually only cancel appointments because of premium payment issues or failure to maintaing Errors and Omissions coverage, or something like that. (Remember - you pay your premium to the broker and the broker has to pay the insurer.) The broker also has to maintain those funds in trust - if you cancel your policy, he has to give the unused premiums back.

4) If you switch brokers mid-term, the new broker will most likely not be able to return commissions on return premium issues. Make sure you know how you'd be getting the commission portion of return premiums back on mid-term changes. Probably worth a call to Chartis at the number provided on the letter they sent. Ask for Greg Sterling. He's the manager of the Light Aircraft Division (LAD).

Hope thus helps. Good luck.

Jeff

Jeff,
This is all good info to share and consistent with what I have learned in my research on AUA this past week. It seems as though you start talking about potential demise and all the brokers come out of the woodworks (not that I am inferring they are inherently bad). A couple of those that posted I have heard good things about, but I do feel it is in poor taste.

What I've heard from two sources that communicated with Chartis, it seems as though it is a remittance-of-payment issue. While I am loyal to my agent (Mac), I'm not as loyal to my Broker (AUA). If this is the beginning of a systemic problem, I don't want to remain with AUA if this same thing occurs with one of the other underwriters they utilize at a later date. I'd rather cut bait and just move on. Mac told me to hang tight, that he'd be in contact with "us" once he knows something.

Sam

Falcon isn't $400 less than AUA. Neither of these entities sets any pricing. The POLICY that Falcon set up for you this time is $400 less than the policy you had before. It might be because of a number of factors - most likely the contuing downward market cycle. Let's not leave the impression that somehow your premium is higher with AUA. It's not. That's unrelated to this thread's discussion. :)

AUA Update

My buddy (who has 3 airplanes with AUA) called and spoke with Mac today. Mac told him that AUA has provided to Chartis copies of all the checks they have paid to Chartis to prove that they have remitted all payments. He also said that a lawsuit is being filed tomorrow against Chartis to prove these claims. Who knows??

Then this evening, I receive this email from the EAA/VAA:

"EAA and VAA Help Vintage Aircraft Owners
After Loss of AUA Coverage

April 24, 2012 - EAA and EAA's Vintage Aircraft Association (VAA) are taking steps to support owners of vintage aircraft after the changing insurance environment may have left some owners questioning whether they had coverage for their aircraft.

This week, VAA ended its long business relationship with the Aviation Unlimited Agency (AUA, Inc.) to provide insurance to vintage aircraft owners. For those VAA members who carried aircraft insurance policies issued through AUA, EAA and VAA have created a process to make sure that insurance is continued and/or available through the EAA Aircraft Insurance Plan.

If you obtained your vintage aircraft insurance through AUA, you may have questions regarding your coverage. EAA Aircraft Insurance Plan representatives are available to help by calling 866-647-4322. You may want to have your policy available during the call for reference.

---Some common questions regarding vintage insurance and AUA policies---

Q: My aircraft insurance obtained through AUA as part of the VAA Aircraft Insurance program is due for renewal shortly.
A: Contact the EAA Aircraft Insurance Plan representatives at 866-647-4322. They can help you obtain the right coverage for your aircraft.

Q: I've received a letter from an insurance underwriter stating my policy obtained through AUA has been cancelled. I've paid my premium. What should I do?
A: Call the EAA Aircraft Insurance Plan representatives at 866-647-4322, and give them your name and aircraft N-number. Also have your policy and any proof of payment available for reference.

Q: My policy obtained through AUA is not due for renewal for several months. Should I do anything now?
A: It's a good idea to check with representatives of the EAA Aircraft Insurance Plan at 866-647-4322 to ensure your policy is in force for the remainder of the stated coverage. Have your name and N-number ready for the EAA representative.

Where the truth lies, I have no idea.

Sam

Chartis Policy Cancelled - Request for Payment

Like many of you I was contacted by Chartis Last year and told I should select another broker, which I did not do since I had a valid policy in hand Issued by Chartis. Today, many months later I receive a letter telling me they are cancelling the policy 45 days early and demanding I pay my premium which I had paid in full to AUA. I called their collections agent and left her the date the check cleared, check number and amount. I have not heard back yet. However if they are cancelling my policy early I am the one who should be receiving a check. Anyone else having this issue?

Like many of you I was contacted by Chartis Last year and told I should select another broker, which I did not do since I had a valid policy in hand Issued by Chartis. Today, many months later I receive a letter telling me they are cancelling the policy 45 days early and demanding I pay my premium which I had paid in full to AUA. I called their collections agent and left her the date the check cleared, check number and amount. I have not heard back yet. However if they are cancelling my policy early I am the one who should be receiving a check. Anyone else having this issue?

Hey John,
Chartis is a great company and if you can show payment, from what I have seen they will honor it. But check with them soon.

If you are down to just 45 days, that isn't much money anyway so not the end of the world.

But read the language carefully as it can be confusing. They are required to give written notice for a whole lot of things and it can be difficult to know just what it is for.

Call my cell number if you want to review any specific language. I am happy to help read between the lines.
Glad to help if I can.

Tj

Thanks TJ, I appreciate your assistance. I was just kidding about the 45 day refund. I do have a call into them and I'm sure it will get resolved. I have seen several similar issues between insurance companies and their agents in the auto industry. I will let you know what happens.

Chartis

TJ, as you predicted everything has been resolved with Chartis. My policy was reinstated as soon as I sent them proof of payment that I made to AUA. My policy expires in less than a month and will most likely renew with Chartis. Thanks.

Back