- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:38 AM

Default Rotec Engineering TBI ?

Whilst Looking at alternatives to carburettors and FI on Lycoming 320 engines I came across the Rotec TBI.
Has anyone used the TBI 40-4?
It appears to be the only one which is approved for mogas (which has great appeal to me). Not to mention that it looks beautifully engineered.

For those who have gone before the pros and cons of TBI operations and installation would be useful. Thanks.
G-RATC
Old 04-16-2010, 07:13 PM

I'm interested in this as well, i'd be considering it for an RV-6 though... Also an O-320. E2D, if it matters.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:45 PM

Try searching on "Rotec TBI". At least one RV builder was installing it when they first made this announcement last year.

Not much has been said about it since.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 04-16-2010, 09:05 PM

Default I have one....

I have been flying too much to take the time to install it. Probably next annual.

RocketBob has one for his -6 and is further along on the install. Maybe he will chime in.

Amateur Plane - RV-9A N789PH - 2450+ Hrs
Amateur Radio - KD0CVN
Doggies Delivered - 25+
St. Paul, MN
Old 04-16-2010, 09:59 PM

FWIW
a pal put one on his O-320 powered Swick Taylorcraft. We took my RV-4 FAB and copied it for the install. He LOVES the thing. Gets way better fuel economy than the pressure carb that came off the airplane. Idles better, and runs better.
Really neat design. Uses nylon gaskets for the slide, and the fuel metering is done with a really unique and incredibly simple design. I'm going to put one on the four as soon as the marvel dribbler needs a rebuild...
Old 04-17-2010, 12:03 PM

Smile Rotec TBI

Dennis, thanks for the input, it does sound promising!
You have answered one of the questions I've posted to Rotec regarding the use of the Vans FAB. No rush, but if there is any chance of a photo of the FAB modification/installation it would be a useful reference.
More importantly having seen one do you think there will be any major issues fitting it in/under the -4 standard 0-320 cowls?
G-RATC
Old 04-17-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmadd View Post

Really neat design. Uses nylon gaskets for the slide, and the fuel metering is done with a really unique and incredibly simple design. I'm going to put one on the four as soon as the marvel dribbler needs a rebuild...
Yep, it's unique. Ben Ellison has been building them for over 25 years. Patent ran out. The Rotec is a copy.

http://www.ellison-fluid-systems.com/

Tony
Old 04-17-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Spicer View Post
Yep, it's unique. Ben Ellison has been building them for over 25 years. Patent ran out. The Rotec is a copy.

Tony
Same principle, but different design (like a V6 vs a straight 6). Rotec TBI is a sliding carb with a totally separate fuel pressure regulator that when used together makes up a complete single point fuel injection or TBI. It is a simpler design than the Ellison.

Besides, at less than half the price, and can run on mogas and manufactured by an active team using modern manufacturing methods (unlike the stale Ellison), there really is no comparison.
RV-4 #4520, Slow built
B Svingen
RV-4 Project Log
Onex Project Log

EAA Chapter 573 Norway
Old 04-17-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvingenB View Post
Besides, at less than half the price, and can run on mogas and manufactured by an active team using modern manufacturing methods (unlike the stale Ellison), there really is no comparison.
To date, there have been no O-320 PIREPS posted on VAF. So how can you say there's no comparison? Google can't find any either.

Tony
Old 04-17-2010, 04:27 PM

Tony,
My understanding is that it is a lot like Ellisons design, but improves a few key areas with some materials that didn't exist when Ellison designed his. I'm relying on my pals explanation here, be cause he has owned both, but I've only seen the Rotec.

D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Spicer View Post

Tony