What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

7A & Garmin G3X mount question

amaris

Well Known Member
I'm starting install of the G3X and when I was at Osh, Garmin had the GSU25 mounted to the back of the GDU 460. When I asked about that as I heard that might not be the best place for it because of vibrations, they said the 7A is on the edge of too much vibration and it may or may not be okay to mount to the GDU.

I've seen it mounted on the subpanel as well as on the GDU. Anyone that has it mounted on the GDU seeing any problems?

Cross posting in the 7A section just in case.

I'm starting install of the G3X and when I was at Osh, Garmin had the GSU25 mounted to the back of the GDU 460. When I asked about that as I heard that might not be the best place for it because of vibrations, they said the 7A is on the edge of too much vibration and it may or may not be okay to mount to the GDU.

I've seen it mounted on the subpanel as well as on the GDU. Anyone that has it mounted on the GDU seeing any problems?

I have a 6A but I have the GSU25 mounted on the back of my GDU460 and it is working fine. YMMV

Just Me

Although you might get away with mounting the GSU25 to the back of the GDU, I chose not to do it for maintenance reasons. If they are mounted together, then pulling the GDU to get to all the wiring means breaking the pneumatic connections, instead of just one BNC and two connectors.

GSU 25 Display Mount

If your instrument panel is substantial enough it should support the GSU 25, but as mentioned above it can cause a maintenance headache down the line. We generally do not recommend mounting the ADAHRS unit in this location. During the initial configuration of the system, you will run an engine vibration test, if you do mount it to the display and there is a problem, you should catch it there.

Thanks,

Justin

Allen, I mounted mine in the aft fuselage on the bracket that Vans sells. There is a little bit of wiring but the CAN bus goes back there anyway.

Attachments

• Aft_wiring_1.jpg
    Aft_wiring_1.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 185
GSU 25 mounted to the back of the GDU 460 PFD.

Pneumatic lines for GSU 25 extend forward and penetrate the F-768B-L through 3 SB 375-4 snap bushings.

Instrument panel is 1" taller (lower) than standard F-703 and fabricated from .090" 2024. F-745 "ears" relocated inboard to create sides for radio stack.

Vibration survey was nominal, and 150 hours of trouble free fight.

YMMV however.

If your instrument panel is substantial enough it should support the GSU 25, but as mentioned above it can cause a maintenance headache down the line. We generally do not recommend mounting the ADAHRS unit in this location. During the initial configuration of the system, you will run an engine vibration test, if you do mount it to the display and there is a problem, you should catch it there.

Thanks,

Justin

Without a compelling reason, why would anynone not follow this advice :confused:

400+ hours of works perfect.

Early Garmin Manuals suggested the mounting be on the back of the PFD460. I mounted mine there and it has performed perfectly.

I suspect there may have been issues with early installations in some aircraft which prompted the change recommendations. It was an easier fix to make the current recomendation than to analyze a number of homebuilt aircraft to determine what/where the problems were.

It sure was a much simpler install on the back of the PDF, fewer tubes and wires running around the aircraft.

Steve

GDU Mount GSU 25

Early Garmin Manuals suggested the mounting be on the back of the PFD460. I mounted mine there and it has performed perfectly.

I suspect there may have been issues with early installations in some aircraft which prompted the change recommendations. It was an easier fix to make the current recomendation than to analyze a number of homebuilt aircraft to determine what/where the problems were.

It sure was a much simpler install on the back of the PDF, fewer tubes and wires running around the aircraft.

Steve

Some instrument panels are not substantial enough to support the GSU 25. If the instrument panel is quite rigid, with no flex, this type of installation will work just fine. We advise against this location in general, because of several aircraft that ended up having to relocate the unit, which is often not a trivial task.

Thanks,

Justin

GDU Mount GSU 25

Thanks for the reply Justin, I built my panel as drawn in the original RV9 plans.

It was a very stong panel design with supports on both sides of the GDU. So, I guess that's why I've had no problems, no vibrations in that location. When I did the install the problems others may have had with custom panels was not discussed in the forum.

Back