What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When to add firebarrier to the firewall for side skins

RVFan671

Well Known Member
I'm closing in on the completion of section 29 with riveting the side skins. Looks like I dont rivet the firewall here but the rest of the fwd side skins get riveted here on page 29-17.

My question is, when should I be putting firebarrier between firewall and side skin then? Should I just lay it down now and cleco each hole or will that not be enough to bring the metal together? Should I rivet the seam and drill them out (my removal technique works very well) if there is some metal needing to go there for the cowl way later? Or should I just try to lather up where I can in and outside with a fillet because there is no way to get between the skins later.

In case it matters, I plan to put fiberfrax on the firewall later in the build.

It’s not necessary

It’s not necessary to put the fire barrier between the firewall and the side skin. Just put a fillet around the perimeter of the firewall on the the engine side of course. It can be done at the same time you install the fiberfrax and ss foil

Last edited:
Firebarrier

I put it between the skin and firewall flange then 100% clekos with nuts for extra tension.

Back