What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowling hinges

rsr3

Well Known Member
Other than drawing 28, section g-g, can someone point me to the dimensions of the cowling hinges that get riveted to the firewall flanges please? I’m stumped!!

Drawing 28 shows how they get riveted on, but not how long the hinges have to be that you rivet.

Many thanks

Rob

It depends on the cowling you are using, I suspect. I just measured the cowl where it meets the lower firewall. Same for sides and top. I plan to replace my lower hinges with CamLoc fasteners to reduce the time it takes to R&R.

counting rivets

I resorted to counting rivets from photos of the factory plane. when i got to Osh, I realized I was pretty close.

Factory told me to put the lower cowl into place and make the side hinges stop 3/4" before the top. I did that to the nearest rivet hole/ full tab. seems to work out when i compared my pictures to the real factory RV9A (same as RV7).

Other than drawing 28, section g-g, can someone point me to the dimensions of the cowling hinges that get riveted to the firewall flanges please? I’m stumped!!

Drawing 28 shows how they get riveted on, but not how long the hinges have to be that you rivet.

Many thanks

Rob

Rob,

You'll need to study the cowl attach detail in the upper left corner of drawing 45. No specific dims but gives you start/stop location for the hinges.

Not knowing I ran mine the full length of the sides for 3 reasons, 1.) extra strength for the FW to fuselage skin and 2.) I like the support for the upper cowl the extra length provides and 3.) finally I didn't know how long to make it and wanted the sides fully riveted before I mounted the engine. That said I have a James cowl and currently going through the install to my fuselage....

Horizontal hinge line by Dave Hock, on Flickr

I have a bunch of photo's of the cowl install on the Flickr page below.... still in process after 50+ hours.... FYI, I used the 1/8" hinge on the horizontal split for extra durability.

I can check the -6A plans since everything is dimensioned, if that would help? The side hinges are 17.5 inches from memory when working on it last week. I can't recall the two bottom piece lengths but can check if you like?

Back