What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

JD Air Canopy Latch Video

What latch did you go for on your -14?

• Total voters

TASEsq

Well Known Member
Patron
Just wondering if anyone knew of a video showing how the JD Air canopy latch functions?

Also a poll - what latch have you installed on your -14?
- Factory Latch?
- Aluminium?
- Red?

I retrofitted the JDAir latch and think it a significant improvement over the functional stock latch.

My install (video) is for a 7, but in principle should be the same.
I also installed a lock, mostly to prevent nosy people….

https://youtu.be/aJKUWCIaI6Y

Thanks Bjorn,

It seems like a nice smooth mechanism. So to open from the inside you push the forward lever forward which releases the aft lever, then pulling this opens the canopy?

Thanks Bjorn,

It seems like a nice smooth mechanism. So to open from the inside you push the forward lever forward which releases the aft lever, then pulling this opens the canopy?

Yes, that’s right. The front releases the locking and the aft pushes the rod that disengages the hooks for the canopy.

Thanks guys

Darwin from JD Air Parts. We have sold a bunch of these to all types of RV's but it is really popular with the 14 crowd. I've had discussions with Van's about the latch and I'm hoping we can offer it there in the future. It is a significant improvement over the stock latch. Also, I have a specific set of instructions for the RV14.

I have both Red and natural aluminum in stock. I can ship or bring some to Oshkosh.

Use Discount code AV2021 and put a note in if you want it brought to Oshkosh.

www.jdair.com

Darwin from JD Air Parts. We have sold a bunch of these to all types of RV's but it is really popular with the 14 crowd. I've had discussions with Van's about the latch and I'm hoping we can offer it there in the future. It is a significant improvement over the stock latch. Also, I have a specific set of instructions for the RV14.

I have both Red and natural aluminum in stock. I can ship or bring some to Oshkosh.

Use Discount code AV2021 and put a note in if you want it brought to Oshkosh.

www.jdair.com

I ordered a red one at 7 am my time and you had it shipped by 12!!! Thank you.

I’ve just fitted the excellent JDAir Latch to my RV14 … see the highlights here …

That’s a very satisfying click - like a BMW door closing versus a Toyota 🤣

Do you reckon you could use a short rivet in the centre hole and just file it down somewhat instead of drilling the hole in the handle?

Two ways

That’s a very satisfying click - like a BMW door closing versus a Toyota 🤣

Do you reckon you could use a short rivet in the centre hole and just file it down somewhat instead of drilling the hole in the handle?

Some are marking the latch where the "extra" rivet is. Install the rivet and do a small hole and counter sink in the latch. It is hidden so no big deal.

Others are filling the hole with the something else. I'd say most are putting the rivet in and drilling a small hole in the latch.

Latch

It's so much better than the original which was puny at best. Small price to pay for this.

Back