What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oxygen System

IFR all day today and the past couple days. I went up on the 28th but had a 47 knot cross wind at pattern - only about 8 knot on the ground but that was more than I wanted so one lap and I landed. Im just glad I didnt have my camera going on the landing!!

Back to an OX system

My last trip we froze so I added seat heaters. I picked up a 12v heater to put under my wifes blanket!

I think that is enough extra voltage I will be using and do not want to plug in my G4. That leaves me with a portable Oxygen system to purchase.

Everything I read Mountain High is the best. I normally use the "Buy the best and you are never dissatisfied" rule so I am leaning that way.

Sportys has what appears to be a nice - easy to use - no power required system with their ox minimizer to prolong your supply for about half the price.

Has anyone used the SkyOx System or another system? Im OK building my own but I want some sort of oxygen on demand system to save fill ups on the road. I will fill my own tank at my shop but on trips I want to minimize the costs.

Thanks

I rolled my own with a medical “E” bottle, a Drive Evolution medical O2 conserver, and a mask for my helmet from flight helmets.com (although cannulas work as well). This setup has had multiple trips in the low flight levels and a single fill of the bottle lasts about 20 hours for just myself with good O2 sats at FL190.

My last trip we froze so I added seat heaters. I picked up a 12v heater to put under my wifes blanket!

I think that is enough extra voltage I will be using and do not want to plug in my G4. That leaves me with a portable Oxygen system to purchase.

Everything I read Mountain High is the best. I normally use the "Buy the best and you are never dissatisfied" rule so I am leaning that way.

Sportys has what appears to be a nice - easy to use - no power required system with their ox minimizer to prolong your supply for about half the price.

Has anyone used the SkyOx System or another system? Im OK building my own but I want some sort of oxygen on demand system to save fill ups on the road. I will fill my own tank at my shop but on trips I want to minimize the costs.

I bought SkyOx as it doesn't require batteries like the MH does (or at least did when I bought my system close to 20 years ago).

I bought SkyOx as it doesn't require batteries like the MH does (or at least did when I bought my system close to 20 years ago).

True - but I have changed the batteries exactly zero times in four and a half years in the MH R2D1 in my little jet….. YMMV!

Seriously, we own a couple of portables - I think a SkyOx and an Aerox, and both work fine - but we rarely fill them up and put them in the planes unless we know we’re going to do a high, long trip. Note that we have a three-bottle O2 cascade in the hangar, so filling is not a big deal for us (we have it to fill the jet’s bottle).

I normally don’t buy the most expensive things, but the MH in the jet has ben efficient and reliable, so I think we’ll do a built-in MH system in the Rocket so I can just use the same helmet/mask that I do in Loki…

If the O2 system is there and convenient, you’ll use it. If its not, you won’t.

Paul

I have the two-person MH O2D2 pulse demand system and like it.

The O2D2 has an external power jack and can be powered from the ship's electrical system via the MH P/N USB-O2D2 adapter cable. When running on external power the internal batteries are disconnected. I run it from ship's power and don't keep batteries in the unit. The single-person O2D1 system does not have that option.

But note this from MH's maintenance FAQ:

Q. I have one of your portable MH-EDS PULSE DEMAND™ units. It seems to be operating just fine, should I
send it in for any type of routine service or testing?

A. Yes. Even though your pulse demand unit will generally let you know if there is a problem and has been designed
to be relatively maintenance free except for batteries, it should be sent in on a regular basis for performance
inspection and service. This includes the in-line or screw–on regulator you use with the EDS. Think of it like
performing an annual inspection on your aircraft.

Q. How often does MH recommend this service be done?

A. This service program has been derived from usage and servicing data acquired over the last 20 years that the technology has been in production and fielded. From this, Mountain High has decided on a routine service program that should be accomplished once every two years, (biennial). This must include the remote pressure regulator you are currently using with the EDS unit(s). We can only service MH manufactured regulators.

Q. What is done to my EDS unit and regulator when I send them in for service.

A. From time to time we make engineering improvements during our production. These improvements may include changes to hardware or firmware or both. This is our way of passing on our latest improvements to you. Also routine service parts such as seals, seats, O-rings and filters are inspected and replaced. Your EDS unit(s) and regulator(s) are then thoroughly inspected and tested on our ATP test set to ensure they are operating to specified standards. This will help to ensure your system is operating properly and upgraded to the latest specifications.

Q. How much does it cost me?

A. Pulse Demand service is US $125.00. Pressure Regulator service is $75.00. This includes all firmware and hardware upgrades. Routine service parts are also included. Any other parts replaced due to damage or field use would be subject to an additional charge. Shipping is additional.

Q. How long should I expect this service to take?

A. Once we receive your unit, in-house turn around time is generally (7) to (10) working days.

Last edited:
thanks for the info.
I am leaning to the SkyOx. Since I live in the flat country now I rarely get high enough to need any extra ox. It will mostly be used for trips. I have shop oxygen tanks so I can fill it at home too.

Interesting the MH system requests you send it in every 2 years to be checked. Ox is not something to mess with but that sounds a little expensive and often.

I've been running the MH system since 2016 and use it (a lot!) at altitude for XC trips, love it, wouldn't change it.

As for routine maintenance - it's never been out of my plane (8 years next month, 1540 hours), and my pulse-ox on my fingertip says it is still doing it's job just fine. YMMV.

Same

I've been running the MH system since 2016 and use it (a lot!) at altitude for XC trips, love it, wouldn't change it.

As for routine maintenance - it's never been out of my plane (8 years next month, 1540 hours), and my pulse-ox on my fingertip says it is still doing it's job just fine. YMMV.

Only 3 years but has worked great and constant use. Great system and very low O2 usage at altitude. Feel much more alert in flight and after landing.

Mh system and batteries

I have a Mountain High systems with the two place pulse demand system.
I used it off and on for about 60 hours. After going through one full O2 bottle with pilot only, the controller batteries ran out on a night cross country at 10.5k. Not fun. So I bought the power cord from MH and now it is powered off of the usb port. I still have batteries in the controller so I can check operation without master on, and such.

Next time I build (RV15), I will provide power for O2 controller and headsets through panel; no batteries needed.

Ed,
How many hours do you get out of a refill with two people?

Depends the data is out there. Depends on
Size of bottle
Altitude
O2 flow
# of people
Type of mask.

You are not on 100% O2 unless in the flight levels.
A mask that captures some of your exhale is more efficient, better 02 economy.

Cannula (small tubes that sit in your nostrils) are efficient but they are continuously flowing 02. If you are smart you flow only enough to maintain proper blood O2 saturation. A fairly cheap clip on finger blood O2 meter ($30 to $40) will do the trick. You can waste O2 or conservative. BTW those blood O2 meters are good even if not flying at altitudes that require supplemental O2.

The rocky mountain pulse demand device, research it. They're expensive and some people say it doesn't save you much. It depends on many factors if it pays for itself. How much you use it is one factor. If you live in Colorado. Wyoming, Utah, fly over mountains (Rockies, Sierra Nevada, Cascades) then it will save O2. You live on flat parts of USA you don't need O2, waste of money.

The issue is we tend to want small O2 bottles for space and weight. To refill can be easy or hard, cheap or expensive depending where you live. Me and several other pilots went in on a very large commercial O2 bottle (leased) and filled it. Sits in hanger. We split the cost and refill our own bottles fairly cheap. Also don't forget hydrostatic pressure test. If you have a tiny bottle on long distance trip you will be refilling at FBO's, typically $75 flat rate small or larger bottle, same price.

That is why I started thread on O2 generators. Unless terrain or weather requires it, or winds are favorable in a normal aspirated RV flying below 12,000ft, say between 8,500 and 11,500 is good enough. If non smoker good health you should be OK. However your night vision is affected at 8,000 ft, so supplemental O2 is good. Again, like most pilots rarely are flying over 10K ft , most pilots rarely fly at night extensively, or at least night and high attitude. For those that do, O2 is wise even if not FAR required.

TURN KEY O2 KITS FOR PILOTS. With a little effort you can buy used gear, bottles, fittings, regulator, flow gauge, mask for much less rolling your own... No fancy pulse demand gizmo needed. If you buy a total system get it at airshow price. There is a bit of a markup. With that said it's a huge convenience just to buy it all at once from one place. Just expect to pay a lot more.

Last edited:
TURN KEY O2 KITS FOR PILOTS. With a little effort you can buy used gear, bottles, fittings, regulator, flow gauge, mask for much less rolling your own... No fancy pulse demand gizmo needed. If you buy a total system get it at airshow price. There is a bit of a markup. With that said it's a huge convenience just to buy it all at once from one place. Just expect to pay a lot more.

Why look down your nose at a "fancy pulse demand gizmo"? My roll-my-own O2 system includes a Drive Evolution medical O2 conserver, which also eliminates the need for a separate regulator and was less than $80 from everyone's favorite online auction site. My cost breakdown:

Medical 'E' cylnder: $75
Drive Evolution O2 conserver: $70
Cannulas (box of 5): $10

If you want to fill the bottles yourself, you'll need a large O2 cylinder from an O2 supplier (cost will vary) and a CGA540 to CGA870 transfill adapter (mine was about $60).

I personally don't like cannulas (they make my nose itch) and opt instead for a mask, which also allows me to go as high as the airplane can. I've found several trips where getting into the low flight levels was beneficial, so it's nice to have that option. The O2 conserver also gets me between 17 and 20 hours out of the E bottle in the low flight levels which eliminates the need to get it filled during a trip.

Back