What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 Ventilation Suggestions ??

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
I need more ventilation in 90F heat and humidity. I have read about the RV10 little doors on the fuse wall, and assume they work OK. The comments on NACA vents are not encouraging and cheek cowls on -3 and-4 reportedly add complications due to negative pressure areas. The obvious place to pick off high pressure is in front of the canopy or the bottom of the leading edge.

I have to cut into a painted airplane so I'm seeking some input before jumping into a badly needed modification ! Any input is appreciated...Larry

I need to do the same thing. I like my fresh air to be cool and fresh, so it has to be drawn from outside. I talked about it to some Panther builders, who have a very similar cheek-style cowl and wing arrangement.

Steve Pedano said he gets good air flow with the duct shown in these pics.

Bob Woolley has a similar placement with the duct on his Panther, but it's closer to the wing root. He said he doesn't get much air at all because if the duct is too close to the top of the wing, the air is low pressure and won't come in. So his advice was to keep it as far away from the wing as possible.

Hubby says if it's on the right side, the air will be fresher. If it's on the left side, the spiraling slipstream will draw exhaust air up into it. Thinking about putting one on each side just for giggles.

I have an rv-10 vent in the lower left skin near my knee and another in the right skin near my right forearm. They blow tons of air and keep me cool in 100+ degree heat.

Some comments from a -4

Left side: lots of air, some exhaust, and wind noise in the microphone.

Right side: needs a bigger vent like a -10 door.

NACA vents in the skirt on the right do almost nothing.

The easiest thing to add would probably be the RV-10 vents - I bought a pair for our RV-3 once we were flying and found the flow from our canopy skirt vents was non-existent....but I didn't get them installed before we went to the paint shop, and I really don't have the talent to touch it up if I ever cut into the sides. But those are probably what would be at the top of my list.

-10 vent location ?

Thanks to all for the informative response. Robin, where precisely have you located them? The cheek cowl appears to significantly affect flows along the cockpit?

1st RV-4 I had, had NACA ducts in the right side canopy rail, iirc (been almost 20 years since I sold it). both worked fine. The one I'm flying now has a NACA below the right cheek with hose to instrument panel for pilot, and had nothing for passenger. I bought the RV-10 vent kit recommended by someone at Van's & installed one of the vents on the right side, aft of the roll bar bulkhead and low enough to miss the already installed intercom jacks. With care, the only thing visible is that the door will be whatever fresh paint color you use. You can drill the 4 corners of the hole, cut slightly undersize with a dremel or other tool of choice, and file to a perfect fit to the supplied door.

Airflow seems more than adequate; no complaints from passengers.

Charlie

edit: should have added, the plane is based in Mississippi.

Back