What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternatives to Vans Master Relay ES24115?

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
These are backordered. Does anyone know who produces them and where they can be found? Or, an equivalent substitute?

Very common.....
cole h.JPG

In stock at most NAPA Autoparts

Solenoid

I use a Cole Hersee part number 24213. It is a 200 amp continuous duty solenoid. Same fit and function as the stock Van’s 80 amp model. Any one you use has to handle the starter current which is quite higher than the rated current of any solenoid I have found. The starter current has to pass through the master solenoid and then to the starter solenoid. Thankfully starting current is intermittent.

Last edited:
If you want an alternative to the tradional can solenoid, I suggest the BlueSea L series. These are sealed units and have a very low coil load after latch (0.13 amps). I shifted to these solenoids after considering standard master relays present a significant percentage of total system power consumption - just to keep them latched.

I used these in the last two builds, and will again in the current build.

If you shop around you can find them new for a lot less than list.

Carl
https://www.bluesea.com/products/9012/Solenoid_L-Series_-_250A_12_24V

Carl,

I purchased one at a great price.

I would like to mount this to a vertical wall in my RV-10 battery area, which is vertical as opposed to a horizontal surface. Will cause any problems? The solenoid will be 90 degrees from the way the Cole Hersee normally sits, just because the mounting differences.

Also, I normally place a diode across the control lead and the power circuit to allow for the collapsing coil current to a place to go and not damage the coil. Is that needed on these, like we do on the Cole Hersee solenoids? If needed or suggested, how do we do that with the leads already wired.

Thank you very much.

Carl,

I would like to mount this to a vertical wall in my RV-10 battery area, which is vertical as opposed to a horizontal surface. Will cause any problems? The solenoid will be 90 degrees from the way the Cole Hersee normally sits, just because the mounting differences.

Also, I normally place a diode across the control lead and the power circuit to allow for the collapsing coil current to a place to go and not damage the coil. Is that needed on these, like we do on the Cole Hersee solenoids? If needed or suggested, how do we do that with the leads already wired.

Thank you very much.

I would check the data sheet to see if vertical orientation is allowed. Pretty sure it states which end should be mounted up and suspect it is not recommended. Diodes do not protect the coil. They protect the switch activating the coil (i.e. prevent arcing across the contacts on open). And yes, a large solenoid like this should have a diode if you want the switch to last.

Larry

Last edited:
Carl,

Thank you very much.

The Blue Sea 9012 is (I'm 99.99% sure) a rebranded Gigavac GV200M, which has a more complete datasheet (https://evwest.com/support/gv200.pdf) and does not require an external diode or list any limitation on mounting orientation.

I haven't gotten to installing it yet, but I'm almost certain that's what I'll be using on my plane (unless I can talk myself into using a cheaper/lighter solid state automotive relay).

Back