What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking For Colorado Mentors

BHSAviation

I'm New Here
We are a high school class currently trying to build an RV-12 and are looking for mentors to help us. Our previous teacher passed away over the summer and we are now trying to build the RV-12 with no experience. We are looking for anyone near Boulder, Colorado who would be able to lend a hand during the morning or afternoon. We have one person in our afternoon classes, but we especially need mentors in our morning class.

Very exciting to see you taking the steps to do this for a school project! I would highly recommend you reach out to David Yuskewich with Wings Over the Rockies. He was the main lead for their RV-12 project using high school and young adults for the same project. They finished theirs this year and start another one later this year.

[email protected]

Really good guy and has all kinds of knowledge on how to herd cats:)

Cheers,

Brian Beatty

Fiona, if and when you find some volunteers, please have them get in touch with me - I'm the afternoon mentor, two days a week. There are some resources which I can share that'll help you out in that case.

In the meantime, without learning how first, please do not work on the plane. The chances of needing a replacement part are just too high, and also I'm concerned that the morning class could move things around that the afternoon class are counting on.

Good luck - wish I could be there then. I'll send you a PM with my contact information.

Dave

Although I don't have time during the day to mentor on a regular basis, you're welcome to take a look at my RV-12 nearing completion in Longmont. I'd be happy to answer questions.

Jerre

Fiona's right - we badly need some active mentors. Much of the time I'm the only one.

There is a morning session and an afternoon session. The only one I can make is the afternoon session, so I haven't even been able to say "hi" to the morning class. In the afternoon, they meet four days a week - M,T,W,F. I'm usually there on Mondays and Wednesdays.

Right now we have one team of students who are about to start the vertical stabilizer. They have all finished their practice kits. I have asked them to work with the other afternoon students on days I'm not there, teaching them on the practice kits. When we get a second team, some of the first team will have to supervise some actual construction. We'll see how that goes.

We are also tool-limited, although that's beginning to improve.

Dave

Back