What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G5 Battery Issue

I have a Garmin G5 installed with a battery as a backup. I am running a G3x system and up till now it has worked as advertised.

We ordered the avionics about a year ago, installed the systems with the aircraft's first flight in January. Beginning of June we take the airplane down for paint. We pick it up last week and I noticed the G5 say “NO BATT”. Sure enough when you power down the avionics it shuts off immediately. No charge at all. We ran the power to the G5 for about 4 to 5 hours to see if we could charge the battery but there was no status change, NO BATT.

So.... where do I go from here? Is the battery kaput? That would be sad considering we got a whopping 6 months out of it and about 65 flight hours. Or is there something else I am missing? I am going to go out and remove the G5 today and try to re-install the battery but I’m not holding out a lot of hope.

Open to suggestions if anyone has experience with this problem. I do have an email out to the G3Xperts as well.

Thanks.

QUICK UPDATE: Big shout out to the Garmin experimental guys. They quickly responded are going to replace the battery.

Last edited:
I'm having the same issues. I got a warranty replacement battery from Aircraft Spruce and it seems that it's not working either. I'm emailing back and forth with Garmin and hopefully it'll get resolved.

Here's what I just emailed Garmin:

Finally got someone at Aircraft Spruce who found the order and they sent me the replacement warranty battery. Here's where we are now to see if you can help me:

Pic#1 - We started with top G5 showing 99% battery and charging and the bottom G5 showing no battery.​​

Pic#2 - We made sure we had the latest software 6.82 on both G5s.​​

Pic#3 - After installing the replacement battery from Aircraft Spruce into the bottom G5 (HSI) we turned it all on and it then showed 0% and charging and the top G5 was at 100% and charging.​​

Pic#4 - After 1 hour with the Master Switch ON to see if the new bottom battery would charge, nothing, so we switched batteries from top to bottom to see if the bottom G5 might have an issue charging the new battery. Now the top G5 has the replacement battery sent from Aircraft Spruce and shows 0% and charging, while the bottom G5 has the battery from the top G5 and it still shows 100% and charging. ​​

​So our collective understanding is that the dual G5 installation is good but we don't know why the new battery doesn't want to charge. I've searched the internet for help and have found for the last few years an issue with the G5, specially when installed as an HSI on the bottom, where the battery drains too quickly or it won't turn on when you turn on the Master Switch. Mine has done that many times and still does it more times than not but at least when I press the ON button for over 10 seconds it resets and turns on.

We all know it shouldn't do that, and I want that to be on record so we can attack that before my warranty expires, but right now I need to be able to correct this battery issue which has had me very worried for almost 4 weeks now, unless that problem is related to this one ???

I also sent them 3 videos but I can't upload them here:

Video #1 - Shows me removing power from the top G5 to see if the bottom G5 would switch to AI and it did, so everything (except the battery) seems to be working fine and it doesn't seem to be an installation problem.

​Video #2 - In battery settings on the bad battery G5 when we compared it with the good battery G5, we saw something interesting but we need you to tell us what it means.

​Video #3 - After another hour with the Master Switch ON to see if the new battery (now installed in the top G5) would charge, nothing, while the bottom G5 has the battery from the top G5 and it still shows 100% and charging.

Attachments

• Pic #1.jpg
    Pic #1.jpg
    743.5 KB · Views: 262
  • Pic #2.jpg
    Pic #2.jpg
    857.5 KB · Views: 215
  • Pic #3.jpg
    Pic #3.jpg
    676.9 KB · Views: 216
  • Pic #4.jpg
    Pic #4.jpg
    794.8 KB · Views: 236
UPDATE :

Well it looks like the Version 2 battery was a flop too and didn't correct the G5 issue (yep I'm still dealing with it since June) so Garmin has just come up with a Version 3 battery.

Version 1 (010-12493) is 3.6 volts
Version 2 (010-12493-01) is 3.3 volts
Version 3 battery (010-12493-02) is back to 3.6 volts but updated electronics, plus your G5 must have at least version 6.30 software, and they're up to 7.30 last time I checked mine.

I was told by Garmin that, now with the Version 3 battery fixing everything, they've stopped offering the modifications to the G5.

Back