What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GMA 245 not on CAN and won't update

jliltd

Well Known Member
I am replacing my GMA 240 with a GMA 245. Adding the 245 to the CAN Bus daisy chain while I am at it. I have a G3X Touch system.

The GMA 245 doesn't show up on the CAN Bus when I check on the GDU 460 system page. The 245 does work as a straight audio panel but is missing on the CAN. I inserted the GMA 245 on the CAN Bus between two components, the GTR 200 and the Garmin AOA indicator. Nodes and terminations per specification with new CAN shielded wire. The two devices on each side of the GMA and all the rest of the LRUs show up fine with a green check mark on the CAN Bus. I went back and made sure the CAN Hi/Lo wires in the proper pin positions in the GMA connector 1 (pins 36 and 37, respectively). I even set the Pin 8 on dip switch on the side of the GMA down thinking that might force the G3X to take over. No dice. Later I checked a buddy's GMA 245 with the exact same components and his GMA 245 had all the dip switches in the factory setting of up and it's on the CAN Bus fine. So that wasn't it. Any ideas?

I decided it would be best to update the GMA 245 to the latest software revision to see if that would help so I downloaded the install package from Garmin and had it create a directory on an SD Card (SanDisk 8Gb new). When I try to force an update on the GMA by pressing the pilot COM1 Mic and Telephone buttons at boot up nothing appears to happen.

I appreciate the diplomacy of an assumption. The answer would be, "no". Jumping around between the manuals you think I could get everything straight. Oh yeah. G3X Audio Panel configuration, vs the first system item. So went back and did it and now it does. Thanks, Walt. I also figured out the GMA 245 software was already at the latest level hence the no update. The G3X shows latest software already there.

I haven't decided whether I want G3X to control the audio panel configurations by flipping dip switch 8 up to enable that. It makes sense to do it with G3X since on-screen prompts are easier to go through than the manual settings with audio response.

I haven't decided whether I want G3X to control the audio panel configurations by flipping dip switch 8 up to enable that.
Hello,

Slight clarification. As explained in the GMA 245 installation manual, DIP switch 8 does not enable/disable G3X Touch control of the GMA 245 configuration. That is always enabled regardless of the position of this switch.

DIP switch 8 only disables access to the GMA 245 built-in configuration mode. I have never heard of anyone enabling this lockout. Perhaps it would be useful in a standalone installation of the GMA 245 in a shared use aircraft to prevent configuration tampering.

GMA245Dip8.png

Steve

Back