Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-08-2017, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rongawer View Post
Ok, you dragged me in...why do you care about stated time before overhaul? It's irrelavent to part 91 operations, let alone experimental where you are the manufacturer.

TBO's were relavent 50 years ago when monitoring technology was nowhere near what it is today. Free yourself from any stated TBO's and instead understand that you should monitor and service, repair or replace on condition. Condition based maintenance is much more efficient and cost effective way to ensure reliability. Case in point, my Baron has TBO's of 1700 hours per engine, but I have just over 2400 on the left one and it's in great condition and running very well - why would I overhaul it? There's not one regulatory or mechanical reason to do so and I'm thousands of dollars ahead by continuing it's operation.

That aside, the RV-10 blades you've listed are constant speed and have nothing to do with RV-12's, which is the point of this thread. Great topic, wrong location.

Ron, you are wrong on the inspection requirements for the Whirlwinds. They CLEARLY state on their website that a teardown inspection is every 400 hours or 3 years for the 3-blade and 650 hours and 5 years for the 2 blade for an RV-10.

BTW, I appreciate their short time periods while more time in the field is put on their props. Eventually I have no doubt they will be longer.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES/RW
Kitplanes "Unairworthy" "Diagnostics" monthly feature
EAA Sport Aviation "Checkpoints" monthly column
Author "Pre-Buy Guide for Amateur-Built Aircraft" & "Are your Nuts Tight?"
www.Baselegaviation.com