What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ditching

Thanks Doug. Very useful. I also found this on your Forum; from Dayton Murdoch's RV-4 POH:

Ditching in water - Life jackets to be worn for Sea Crossing

Ditching Procedure
Always Check DIRECTION OF SWELL and WIND
Turn towards LAND/SHIPPING
Trim .......................BEST GLIDE 71 Kts
Plan landing...................ALONG SWELL
OR
No Swell..............INTO WIND
Check Failure...ATTEMPT CORRECTION
Radio....................................MAYDAY
Engine............Shut Down Procedure
Harnesses................................TIGHT
Cabin Latch...UNLOCK. NOT OPEN
Final Approach. Master OFF
NO FLAP SELECTED (Pitches DOWN)
HOLD OFF ?SPLASH? TAIL DOWN

Leaving Aircraft
Seat Belts...............Release
Canopy.................Open
Exit onto Wing
Inflate Life Jacket

Excellent.
One thing I might add is that flipping onto its back is a common occurance for acft ditching and that a pilot in such an event will most likely be quite disoriented and actually not know which way is 'Up'. If submerged and free of the acft, exhale a little and follow those bubbles.
;)

Doug-Awesome webite you posted in this thread. Looks like something that could be beneficial for all models. This might be a thread you should move to the Education section.

Didn't the guy who ditched his RV-8 in Hawaii have a problem that the canopy slammed shut when he hit the water? I'd almost consider ditching the canopy when set up for final. If you shove it back (and that's a big if), I think the airstream will rip it off the airframe. It would make exiting the airplane much easier.

I'm no expert so I'm sure there's a reason why this is a bad idea.

Ham said:
Thanks Doug. Very useful. I also found this on your Forum; from Dayton Murdoch's RV-4 POH:

Ditching in water - Life jackets to be worn for Sea Crossing

Ditching Procedure
Always Check DIRECTION OF SWELL and WIND
Turn towards LAND/SHIPPING
Trim .......................BEST GLIDE 71 Kts
Plan landing...................ALONG SWELL
OR
No Swell..............INTO WIND
Check Failure...ATTEMPT CORRECTION
Radio....................................MAYDAY
Engine............Shut Down Procedure
Harnesses................................TIGHT
Cabin Latch...UNLOCK. NOT OPEN
Final Approach. Master OFF
NO FLAP SELECTED (Pitches DOWN)
HOLD OFF ?SPLASH? TAIL DOWN

Leaving Aircraft
Seat Belts...............Release
Canopy.................Open
Exit onto Wing
Inflate Life Jacket

Wouldn't approach flaps be preferrable to allow a slower entry speed. That's how the Navy teaches it in Beech 90s and 200s (for what it's worth). I know the speeds aren't the same in RVs, but we have to enter 10 kts faster if we are no-flap. Same VSI, slower airspeed seems to be preferrable. Also, don't forget the transponder. Give TRACON a visual reference of where you are. 7700 might save you and that's quicker maybe than trying to explain where you are.

Brian130 said:
Wouldn't approach flaps be preferrable to allow a slower entry speed. That's how the Navy teaches it in Beech 90s and 200s (for what it's worth). I know the speeds aren't the same in RVs, but we have to enter 10 kts faster if we are no-flap. Same VSI, slower airspeed seems to be preferrable. Also, don't forget the transponder. Give TRACON a visual reference of where you are. 7700 might save you and that's quicker maybe than trying to explain where you are.
No, not really. It's the same for an engine out landing. The idea is to have the least "rate" of decent, rather than the slowest speed. With the flaps out in an RV, you are dropping pretty good. There's more downward motion to dissipate with a higher rate decent, and that's the jolt your body will take. Forward motion will be dissipated by friction and the airframe shedding parts.

I read this somewhere and it made a lot of sense. I can't remember the source though.

Life Raft

A person is very hard to see with out a life raft. I would not take my RV over water because I do not think I could get out WITH the life raft.

I have a life raft from a past with lots of over water flying. I used to cary a bag with a Marine radio, an air band radio, fishing gear, Medicine kit,Water, Pennut butter/ food, Sun cover,,,. That bag was bigger than the raft. I would want all this over water. It just would not be possiable to keep it all with you in an RV upside down in the water.

Flying to Bimini across the Flordia Straights is a quick trip. I have done it many times. It is really big if you are swiming. Take the Barron or Bonanza. They make good water landings, once.

Back