What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Waste oil electric pump

bpattonsoa

Well Known Member
I drain my oil into the standard five gallon bucket or one of those oil change things for automobiles. My trash company will only take it, but only in gallon jugs.

Transferring the oil to the smaller jug always creates a major mess. I am looking for recommendations for a 12V pump to transfer the oil into the smaller container. The pump would have to deal with cold thick oil.

Also has anyone tried draining the oil thru the dipstick tube with a pump? Seems like it would be cleaner than the quick drain which always seem to splash oil onto the floor. Don’t know if it would get all the oil but you could finish the job with the normal drain.

Also has anyone tried draining the oil thru the dipstick tube with a pump?

Speaking from experience, you don't want to put anything down the oil fill tube, you might not get it back without removing the tube or the oil pan (seems unlikely I know, but it has happened. Especially if whatever pump you got had small pieces or impellers or whatever down on the end that goes into the oil reservoir). I think a better option would be to formulate a funnel/hose setup that hangs on the quick drain and runs down to your catch bucket so that it doesn't make a mess.

For transferring to smaller containers, you can get a fuel/diesel/oil pump from HF for pretty cheap.

Bunch of solutions out there.

https://www.amazon.com/oil-extractor/s?k=oil+extractor

I use an oil extractor on my car, have not yet tested with the aircraft since I like to see the oil flow out, and I take a sample midway for oil analysis.

I have pumped oil out of my tractor before and was only able to get about 50%. I still got oil all over my arm when I took the filter off!

This is a little off topic but your comment made me think if I wanted he first bit of oil coming out of the sump or mid stream. I am making arguments in my head both ways. Maybe over thinking it?

I have pumped oil out of my tractor before and was only able to get about 50%. I still got oil all over my arm when I took the filter off!

This is a little off topic but your comment made me think if I wanted he first bit of oil coming out of the sump or mid stream. I am making arguments in my head both ways. Maybe over thinking it?

Blackstone Labs used to say something like this: "If you’re taking your sample while changing the oil, let some oil drain before you fill up the bottle. Try not to get either the first or the last oil out of the pan."

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/information/sampling-procedures/

But I don't see this on the link for Aircraft Sampling.

A hose connected to the quick drain and stuck in a gallon tea jug. Usually takes 2 jugs. No mess.

This is pic of O320 oil pan. Dipstick inserts between #1 and #3 intake runners pretty close to the center plenum.
Hose with any kind of ridge or knob on the end might get stuck in there.
There is also a casting boss (for carb mounting studs) on the floor that may keep the oil suction hose from reaching the bottom if the oil pan.

Attachments

• vaf dip.jpg
    vaf dip.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Sorry, I can not help with a pump, although I made a vacuum tank from a 5 gallon gas can and it is "ok" but not great. A larger (plastic) hose for and aircraft would work much better.

On your disposal - - why not take your used oil to any autoparts store . . they will recycle for free - by law!

Back