What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for Pioneer stick grips

PokePilot

Does anyone know if Pioneer Aircraft Grips is still making their walnut stick grips? I'm getting to the point where I'd like to start prepping for my interior and I had been planning on getting a pair of those, but the www.aircraftcontrolgrips.com website seems to be down. They also used to be for sale on Aircraft Spruce but they no longer appear on there either.

For reference, here are a couple of links with the grips I'm looking for:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=122242
http://vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=125767
https://www.kitplanes.com/pioneer-aircrafts-walnut-control-grips/

I have these and they are great. The site was up a few months ago.

He does them as a hobby and him and his wife travel a lot.

+1.

I love mine...they really class up the cockpit. Hope you're able to connect with Guy.

Dave

+2......they do really class up the cockpit....I used one on the pilot side and took the original Vans, teak grip for the co-pilot side and cleaned it up and stained it walnut and put several coats of polyurethane on it to gloss it up like Guy does. Now they are a pair! Also purchased the same PTT switch that Guy uses and installed it on the co-pilot side too.

Any luck reaching Guy? Website continues to be offline, afraid he may have closed up shop.

Unfortunately no. Sent an email but still haven't gotten a response. I'll probably try sending a another email or two before before giving up though. I had pretty much made the decision to go for Guy's stick grips a year ago; now I wish I would have bought a pair while I still had the chance. :(

I've been researching other similar stick grips and found https://www.customairplanegrips.com/, the guys that make the teakwood grips. Their armrest style grip is very similar in shape, so that may be my plan B if I can't get a pair of the walnut grips.

Update

I received a reply from Guy and he informed me that he has in fact shut down his stick grip business and sold his equipment. Bit of a bummer, but I respect his decision. Such is the nature of things in the experimental world. :eek:

In the future I think I might immediately snag any RV products I desire just in case they aren't available later on when I'll actually need them. It's a good way to justify impulse buying!

Pioneer Grips coming back

All,

I've been in touch with a gentleman named Skylar Thody who has purchased Pioneer Control Grips. He's been getting advice from Guy and plans to restart production. His website isn't live yet but he has a presence on Facebook, just search for his name.

HTH

Dave

Pioneer Control Grips

Hey all! My name is Skylar. I’ve purchased Pioneer and am now taking orders. I’ve slightly changed the name from “Pioneer Aircraft” to “Pioneer Control Grips”. Our website is live at www.pioneercontrolgrips.com . During my years as an avionics tech for an experimental production company, all we used were Pioneer because there was nothing else that compared. When I heard that the business was up for sale, I jumped on it. With a passion for both woodworking and aviation electrical, it was the perfect fit. Guy personally came out and showed me the ropes and has offered his continue support for existing customers. I’m excited to bring these awesome grips back to life!

Thanks,

Skylar
Pioneer Control Grips

Pioneer Grips

Hey all! My name is Skylar. I’ve purchased Pioneer and am now taking orders. I’ve slightly changed the name from “Pioneer Aircraft” to “Pioneer Control Grips”. Our website is live at www.pioneercontrolgrips.com . During my years as an avionics tech for an experimental production company, all we used were Pioneer because there was nothing else that compared. When I heard that the business was up for sale, I jumped on it. With a passion for both woodworking and aviation electrical, it was the perfect fit. Guy personally came out and showed me the ropes and has offered his continue support for existing customers. I’m excited to bring these awesome grips back to life!

Thanks,

Skylar
Pioneer Control Grips

I have a Pioneer Grip in my plane and love it!
I have installed a second in my hangar mates -6 as well.
Besides the overall great looks....the quality of the switches is way above normal. I love them.
As a note...or a thought...the grips are spendy and worth it but wasn't needed on the co-pilot side. I took a Vans Teak grip and sanded and stained and polyurethaned it to match, and ordered a matching PPT switch..very happy. You might consider offering one...in the product line up.
Best of luck in your new venture.

I have a Pioneer Grip in my plane and love it!
I have installed a second in my hangar mates -6 as well.
Besides the overall great looks....the quality of the switches is way above normal. I love them.
As a note...or a thought...the grips are spendy and worth it but wasn't needed on the co-pilot side. I took a Vans Teak grip and sanded and stained and polyurethaned it to match, and ordered a matching PPT switch..very happy. You might consider offering one...in the product line up.
Best of luck in your new venture.

I apologize for the lag in response on here. I’m new to the forum and haven’t seen any notifications that you responded. That’s great feedback and I’ll take it into consideration. I’ve been playing around with a similar idea that I think will solve this problem. Glad you like your grip!

Skylar
Pioneer Control Grips

Back