What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Timming Canopy help. (Pics)

WJaviation

]I’m curious how much trimming if any was required to trim your canopy.

Ive got my canopy up on the frame and aligned as absolutely as well as i can get it and it appears that i will have to trim at least 1/8th inch off the bottom of the canopy on BOTH sides where it meets the frame in order to satisfy the instructions.

Ive read posts in the past were folks left the canopy mostly untrimmed with left and right sides resting on the frame.

Cutting a full 1/8th off both sides FEELS very excessive, like I'm missing something or doing it incorrectly. I’m hoping that i simply am aligning my canopy incorrectly somehow and don’t actually need to make cuts like this.

Could my canopy frame simply be bent in some strange way that I’m not seeing? Or is 1/8th inch trimming normal to get the canopy to fit the way it's intended?

Attachments

• IMG_20210911_173010326_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210911_173010326_HDR.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_20210911_172929168.jpg
    IMG_20210911_172929168.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 325
I'm just one data point, but my canopy fit nicely and needed no trimming.
I also found that, on all the fiberglass parts (tail cone, cowling, wheel fairings, etc), the trim line was just about perfect for final fitting of those parts.
I'd double (triple?!) check whenever anything doesn't fit per plans.

I had to trim quite a bit on the sides to get the called-for 1/8th inch clearance with the canopy in a relaxed state.

Jerre

Back