What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MT 3-blade composite overhaul shop recommendations

hesty

Hello VAF folks,
I live near Las Vegas and am looking for an overhaul shop that is trustworthy to accomplish an overhaul of my 3 blade MT. It is a MTV12B/183-59B prop. I do have blistering in the composite layer that will need to be addressed and repaired. I am quite disappointed in the longevity of these props, especially in the desert where blade root shrinkage causes unsightly ripples. MT assures me these are only cosmetic, but the prop is starting to look quite sick. I used American Propeller in Redding for initial assembly, but have heard that they charge a fortune. I have other shops identified for this work via the MT website. Thanks a bunch for your input.
Chad

Chad,
I just had my 3 blade MT prop overhauled (11 years in service) by Tiffin in OH.
Two out of the 3 leading edges needed to be replaced, I had them do the third one while they were at it. The HUB was in great shape and didn't need any work done. Since they need to strip the blades down completely I had them repaint with colors that matched the airframe vs the stock white. The overhaul time was 5 weeks and I had them remove the prop and install, they kept the plane in a hangar while the work was done. I've removed and installed props before but logically it just just easier to have them do it although it did add to the cost. Also had them dynamically balance after installed.

The cost was around $7,000, certainly not cheap but very close to what they estimated. DeLand also gave me a rough quote and with all the extras I had done the price was within 5%

I'm sure you can find someone local but though the info may be helpful.

Back