What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lead time on Thunderbolt engines extended by a year!

bertschb

Well Known Member
Friend
Did anybody else notice the lead time for Lycoming Thunderbolt engines went from 18-24 months to 30-36 months????

I ordered mine in late April. I hope I don't have to wait three years to get it!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 4.42.50 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 4.42.50 PM.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 68
I see the engine price page is still down, too. I am curious to see what the new prices for this year are going to be since the big discounts in April.

I see the engine price page is still down, too. I am curious to see what the new prices for this year are going to be since the big discounts in April.

Yeah I saw that, wonder why it’s been down for almost a month and a half now?

TB IO360M1B

I ordered mine when Lycoming announced a price increase in June 2021. Asked for latest possible delivery since I wasn’t ready for an engine and was ordering to avoid cost increase. 6wks ago I was notified it was time to take possession and to send in the balance. Still waiting but late last week was told it went to paint.

Ordered in May 2021…….waiting

Ordered new Thunderbolt May 2021 and also……STILL WAITING but for the last year every 3-4 months get an email saying soon……….Disappointing

We had a same thread running a few weeks ago…

Ordered my TB YO360 end of March 22. Since I still had a few hours left out of my present non-OEM engine, told them I could skip a couple of positions.
Today TB don’t answer my mails, and Vans tell me TB is slammed…

Jetj01, are these info mails spontaneous, or are you querying every so many months yourself?

Maybe the price is going up faster than they can post it and have it current.....:eek:

I was more concerned that demand had reduced since covid and prices were on the way down… I do hope I didn’t buy into a “tremendous deal” before the prices dropped further! Haha…

We had a same thread running a few weeks ago…

Actually, this thread is a bit different. I've been following the estimated shipping dates for all the RV-14 kits as well as the Thunderbolt engines since March. The dates for the kits change fairly often but the Thunderbolt dates stayed at 18-24 months until last week when they added a year. That was a pretty significant change which is why I started this thread.

I ordered thunder December 2022 with a purported estimate for completion of 12 months at that point. In a conversation with Vans, they had offered me (somewhat unsolicited) a regular IO 360 M1B with a very tight turnaround at a cheap price. Had I known some of you had been waiting 24 months, I would have considered that offer far more seriously. With those kind of delays, it will definitely impact my construction process significantly. thanks all. Love this forum.

I ordered an EXP119 in April 2023 (Sun-n-Fun “deal”). Vans accepted the order (and my deposit) but cautioned that I should not expect to get an estimated ship date from Lycoming for at least 6 months. I asked Lycoming at Airventure, and was told to expect 24 months from order date.

Back