What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12's stored on trailers?

Blw2

Well Known Member
Just curious, any idea how many of the RV-12 regularly get de-winged for trailering or whatever reason? I'm wondering if it's a measurable percentage or if it's approaching zero....

Does anyone regularly or seasonally keep them in or on a trailer like sail plane pilots sometimes do?

Trailer

I'm one that regularly trailers my RV-12. Been flying since August of 2015, currently at 430 hours, always trailered. The plane/trailer are stored in my shop at home. It works nicely for me, but it's not for everyone. Sure is nice not to pay for hangar rent, but I need help assembling everytime I fly. That's my biggest downside to the keep at home routine.

I'm one that regularly trailers my RV-12. Been flying since August of 2015, currently at 430 hours, always trailered. The plane/trailer are stored in my shop at home. It works nicely for me, but it's not for everyone. Sure is nice not to pay for hangar rent, but I need help assembling everytime I fly. That's my biggest downside to the keep at home routine.

Any pics of your setup?

RV-12 Trailer Info

I am very interested in keeping my RV-12 in an enclosed trailer. Now working on the Finish Kit and want to get a trailer even before I finish, to store the wings in. I have done a fair amount of research but would appreciate seeing what others have done. I am hoping to do something like what David Kroner did as shown in a Kitplanes March 2014 article. I have assembled gliders hundreds of times on my own with longer, heavier wings than the RV-12 using a "one man rigger," but I haven't put the wings on my 12 yet (almost ready to start flight controls) so I will have to see how tough it really is.

Stuart Grant
1953 Cessna 180 - sold
2013 RV-12 Kit - underway
N412SG - reserved.

Wingwalker

I always have prearranged assembly help, whoever my copilot for the day is, or my bride helps (she's the wingwalker). Brantel, if you PM me, I'll email you some pictures. My trailer is open and very light, less than 2000# all up. My truck is a raggedy old '95 GMC 1500 Z71, pulls and stops fine.

This thread got me thinking.... There is a local car show near me with hotrods and vintage cars that is a large informal gathering at the local shopping center. Most Saturdays during the summer draws hundreds of cars. What would be really neat is to take wings off my RV-12 and trailer it to the car show for reassemble and display. The people would go wild… Connect up some ground power and light up the flat panel displays. Even outdated D-180 would wow the crowd. Could remove top cowling, like the guys who raise car hoods, and show them 1352cc / 100 HP with 130 MPH cruising speed @ 5 GPH.
-

Attachments

• 09DE18DC-63D7-4AC1-A075-BB9AD960A842_1_105_c copy.jpeg
    09DE18DC-63D7-4AC1-A075-BB9AD960A842_1_105_c copy.jpeg
    233.4 KB · Views: 108
It's my intention to store and transport my RV-12 in an enclosed trailer as well. Hangar space is non-existent anywhere within an hour of where I live. I'm in the northeast and an open trailer would really limit the flying season since I don't want to expose the airframe to road salt transporting it to the airport. The challenge I see is to find a trailer with a rear opening that can accommodate the 8' horizontal stabilizer. I've corresponded with some other forum members who have done this, but the trailers they used aren't made any more. It's looking like this will be a custom job. I'd really like to hear what others are able to do.

The challenge I see is to find a trailer with a rear opening that can accommodate the 8' horizontal stabilizer.

Build up the floor under ONE of the main gear tires. There are many engineer types on this forum whom could advise you on how high (1.5"? 2"?) this would need to be to reduce the width of the stabilazer enough to fit in your trailer.

Last edited:
Build up the floor under ONE of the main gear tires. There are many engineer types on this forum whom could advise you on how high (1.5"? 2"?) this would need to be to reduce the width of the stabilazer enough to fit in your trailer.

I briefly considered this, but if I've done the math right (I'd welcome proof to the contrary) it'd take at least a 33" difference in height between the ends of the stabilator to fit it through a 7'-6" wide opening. (The actual difference is slightly greater due to the thickness of the stabilator.) Given that the wheel base is over 6', that means raising one side almost 2 feet. That doesn't seem practical to me, even before considering the complications of centering the aircraft in the trailer, or raising the nose to lower the vertical stabilizer to fit.

A custom opening seems better for the aircraft in the long run.

When I got my -12 I considered having a trailer built. Everything I saw that was "off the shelf" had too stiff of a suspension to carry a 800# airplane without beating it up. So I considered a custom built aluminum trailer. The trailer design I was looking at had a 8' opening and thin walls which would only require a slight tilt for safe loading.

RV-12 Trailer Info

Very happy to see there is at least a little interest in enclosed RV-12 trailers!:)

Hangars anywhere near where I am living are unobtainium and if found, cost more per month than my mortgage. A primary reason I chose the RV-12 was to trailer it (lots of other good reasons too).

I actually hope to travel cross-country (coast-to-coast) a few times with the RV-12 inside a trailer. I am looking at a maximum legal outside width in almost all states without permits of 102-inches or 8'-6." I have been working with three sales reps and there are at least two companies that can do a "production line buster" custom trailer with a minimum clear inside width including door/ramp of 98-inches - enough for the horizontal stabilizer without the optional tip fairings. They can do this and still have 4-inches plus or minus for the door frame and side walls and be "legal." The Kitplanes article I mentioned up near the top of this thread shows how it can be done. One price I got for a really nice all aluminum trailer was north of $31K.

I have generated some CAD drawings from the RV-12 "3-View" that show how it might fit and sloping the nose up/tail down looks like it could work with some wiggle room in a 7-foot high trailer. If anybody is serious about getting a trailer in the next 6 months maybe we could arrange a group buy?

Stuart Grant
2013 RV-12 - working on finish kit
Miami

I too am interested in an enclosed trailer solution for my rv12. As many have stated, there is nothing out there that can accommodate the 8' horizontal stabilator. I was resorting to a custom built one. I would be interested in a group buy of such if there is strong group interest.

This is what I planning to investigate this summer. It's a few inches shorter than one another forum member uses, but otherwise seems like it'd work. It's just mean a slightly higher ramp for the nose. Whether I can get it to the Northeast is another question.

I would consider a group purchase if the cost weren't too excessive. $31k seems a bit high to me given that car haulers of similar dimensions are going for around $18-$21k here in NH. But I haven't priced customized trailers yet so I really don't know.

My first thought was that it would be an awfully wide trailer to be towing around...then it dawned on my that my class C motorhome, without the mirrors is approx 8-3 wide...and I've driven that all over the place....

Based on the lack of responses it seems that this isn't happening much if at all really. I wonder if it would quickly become such a pain in the rear end that it wouldn't take long for the plane to hardly ever be taken out.... might be better to drive an hour and half to a hangar than it would be to keep in the trailer and tow 5 minutes from the house to an airport. Like the boat I keep in my garage that hardly ever gets out mainly because it's a major project to get all the stuff out of the way, get it out and hitched, etc....Just a thought to consider....

seems to me a trailer needs some sort of ingenious crane rig that would help loading and unloading the wings, attaching them, etc... gotta make it fast and easy

how often do you take it up?

RV-12 Trailer Info

Glad to get the link on the Aerotrek Trailer!

Just finished Section 31 "Fuselage Wiring Harness" and celebrating after spending many, many hours trying to attach the over rudder wireway.

I have tried to attach a photo that David Kroner (Ohio RV-12) was kind enough to share with me several years ago.

The trailer I really like is a custom Featherlite all-aluminum, including an extruded floor. I have had some back and forth with their engineering department and adjusted the tandem torsion axles to match the unusually light weight of the intended airplane cargo. I am trying to get something as compact and light weight as possible. I want as easy to tow and fuel-efficient as possible for several 8,000 mile road trips over 3 or 4 years. Along with the airplane I will only carry a couple of hundred pounds of tools, spares and maybe 30 gallons of fuel in the trailer. Not looking for a workshop or lounge plus airplane. Based on trailer dimensions the RV-12 will fit in a 22-foot-long trailer with a modest v-nose (plus tongue) and still have a little bit of room inside. Total weight I am shooting for is around 4,000 pounds which can be towed by a half-ton pickup or my 3/4 ton Silverado with a pop-up camper shell on the back.

I talked with Mark Sorenson a little at Sun-N-Fun 2023 about Arising Trailers and he has done many one-off aircraft trailers of required width. I visited the Alcom Trailer Factory in DeLand, Florida in April and the guy that runs their production line there built a bunch of RV-6 airplanes at Massey Air Ranch back in the day so he was interested. Alcom makes a nice trailer with adequate interior width but the ramp door and door frame would have to be reworked by the customer after delivery to get 98-inch width clear.

I believe that if a couple of us can agree on a "Standard RV-12 Trailer" we can find a factory to build it at some savings. Even if it is steel-framed with a plywood floor and no extras I am sure that it will be more than $20K. Interior fit-out to secure the airplane (by purchaser) is also sure to cost a couple of thousand dollars more.

Shaking the airplane to pieces is a real concern as is the potential for accidents. According to Dr. Bob Jones, who has traveled the country with his Kitfox in a trailer behind his camper van and given many talks at fly-ins, it can be done in ways to minimize risk. The benefits are very appealing to me. Here is an AOPA article about him: https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2019/march/pilot/some-assembly-required

Attachments

• 17_zpsa6ff7646.JPG
    17_zpsa6ff7646.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 255
Trailer to fly

I try to fly every week or two if possible. Sometimes I'm out of town working and not able to fly for 3-4 weeks at a time. I have not gone long enough to require a CFI checkout (90 days) since 2015 when I first flew my -12. We ( the Wingwalker and I, my most efficient helper) can have the plane ready to preflight in 11-12 minutes from the time we get stopped at the assembly area. Basically about the same time as opening hangar, fueling the plane and preflight, closing hangar door. My biggest impediment is finding a copilot in the COVID age.

What I would be afraid of is clearance of 8' stabilator inside trailer. Airplane will move around and stabilator will touch inside walls of trailer, even if braced. I think this would impart a lot of stress on the stabilator / tail cone assembly....

I try to fly every week or two if possible. Sometimes I'm out of town working and not able to fly for 3-4 weeks at a time. I have not gone long enough to require a CFI checkout (90 days) since 2015 when I first flew my -12. We ( the Wingwalker and I, my most efficient helper) can have the plane ready to preflight in 11-12 minutes from the time we get stopped at the assembly area. Basically about the same time as opening hangar, fueling the plane and preflight, closing hangar door. My biggest impediment is finding a copilot in the COVID age.

Nice. That's great to hear.... I'll bet a lot of folks in hangars don't get up that often.

and yeah, flying solo is where my mind is spinning about some sort of trailer side hoist...or maybe some sort of rolling dollies, to aid in wing installation and removal.....and I'm not at this point even seriously considering doing this trailer thing!

Custom RV-12 Trailer Available Now...

The RV-12 trailer of your dreams is available now and at a reasonable price...

This very lightly used custom rig is located in central Florida and is owned by Scott Malcomb. Scott, referenced by many around the country (and me) as "The RV-12 Guru", has been off the VAF grid for a while and his log-in credentials were purged. He should be approved with a new log-in in a day or two and will be posting details.

This is truly a 'barn find' for anyone in need of a trailer for their RV-12.

Looking for the perfect Vans RV-12 Trailer?

I have for sale 2019 custom ATC Quest 8.5x24 V-nose dual axle enclosed trailer. This trailer has been specifically built to hold the RV-12. It has a fully finished interior with 99 1/4" finished interior width. Has recessed LED lights, cabinets, carpet in the living space at the front and air conditioning. It has a ramp that guides the nose gear into the same spot every time coupled with a powered remote control winch that makes loading the RV-12 a breeze. Sidewall wing mounts with spar locking pins keep the wings secure during transport.

Insulated ceiling and walls

60amp converter intli-power 15amp GFI outlets and 12v battery w/cutoff
5200lb Torsion axles with EZ-lube hubs and radial tires

$22,000.00 Message me if you are interested for more details.

Attachments

• IMG_7361.jpg
    IMG_7361.jpg
    634.7 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_6166.jpg
    IMG_6166.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_7378.jpg
    IMG_7378.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_7362.jpg
    IMG_7362.jpg
    791.9 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0181.jpg
    IMG_0181.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Scott Malcomb's RV-12 Trailer

This is an unsolicited report on Scott Malcomb's RV-12 Trailer that I looked at in Geneva, Florida on Sunday, May 14, 2023. Scott does not know I am posting this. I was very anxious to check out his trailer, thinking someone else on VAF might get it first. I had several calls, emails and text exchanges with Scott prior to my trip to Geneva and I had funds transferred to my checking account (from my avionics and engine fund) to make the purchase. The trailer is in excellent shape, needs nothing and is ready to go for transporting and storing an RV-12. The price is well below what it would cost to have built today.

It was a tough decision for me not to buy it. I have a 20-year-old Silverado pickup that I put an aluminum camper shell (lightweight) on in January 2022 and then spent 6-months building-out the interior. With my camper complete, I resumed work on my RV-12 kit in Feb. 2023 with the goal of finishing it and traveling cross-country (very long trips in mountainous areas) with the airplane inside a trailer towed behind my truck-camping rig. Unfortunately, Scott's trailer is significantly heavier and a bit longer than what I hope to find. My truck is 4WD (heavy) and with the fully-packed camper and a big winch on the front my towing capacity is limited.

In my opinion, Scott's trailer is ideal for someone with the right tow vehicle looking for a portable hangar suitable for safe RV-12 storage, and only planning reasonably short trips to an airport and occasional long trips. Meanwhile, I will work on getting a more expensive, but hopefully lighter, trailer that will best suit my mission of multiple 8,000 mile driving trips seeing the USA in my Chevrolet and from up in the air.

Last edited:
Without wings storage

Howdy there;

Yep, I share a hanger with my RV-12iS and a piper cub. I have to take the wings off every time I fly! I am thinking about building a wheel to connect to
the hole in the spar to move it without another needed person.. Grin

I have a low 16 feet trailer that I use to move it too and from cities... Place the wings underneath and go! Grin

I try to fly every week or two if possible. Sometimes I'm out of town working and not able to fly for 3-4 weeks at a time. I have not gone long enough to require a CFI checkout (90 days) since 2015 when I first flew my -12.

Why would you need a CFI Check out if you went beyond 90 days?

3 to/ldg 90 days

I thought there's a 3 takeoff/landing requirement within the previous 90 days for recent experience. Maybe I have interpreted the recent experience rules (or lack thereof) incorrectly. Please enlighten me.

3 takeoffs and landings are required prior to carrying passengers. No CFI is required even if you go a whole year without flying. A biennial flight review is required every two years.

Trailers and Wing Rigging Aids

It would be great to see a photo of your 12 on the 16-foot trailer. On Van's Aircraft website there is a page with the history of the development of the RV-12 and it talks about Van being a glider pilot. Years ago I was a spectator at a glider contest in Ephrata, Washington and Van was in the contest. Glider pilots drive their aircraft all over America for contests and store the gliders in the trailers and they use one-man rigging aids to attach and remove the long, heavy wings. Search for "one man rigging system glider" to see photos and videos of the wing dolly and how they are used. I will either try to make one of buy one that I can adapt to work.

Attachments

• Europa-Rigger.jpeg
    Europa-Rigger.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 80
I thought there's a 3 takeoff/landing requirement within the previous 90 days for recent experience. Maybe I have interpreted the recent experience rules (or lack thereof) incorrectly. Please enlighten me.

3 takeoffs and landings are required prior to carrying passengers. No CFI is required even if you go a whole year without flying. A biennial flight review is required every two years.

What Joe said
Take a look at FAR 61.57
So if you are past 90 days you can do 3 landings solo and you are good to carry passengers for another 90 days. Must be in the same category and class of aircraft. Must be full stop landings for a tail dragger or flight at night.

Thanks!

As always, this is the greatest place to learn something I was mistaken about. During my rental plane days, they required a CFI checkout if past 90 days. I just carried that thinking forward 🤣. I even regained night currency in my plane after several years out of currency by myself. I knew that was okay, why not day currency.......duh. Thanks all!

Back