What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

On "quiet" air compressors

tldavis

I searched before buying a compressor for my build. I looked at stats and VAF posts and came up with a realization: the world has changed since the VAF posters recommended an expensive giant compressor or that you have to pay $2k for a "quiet" one. Not so.

You can get a huge loud compressor and be the "best" on your block but everyone on your block will know it. "Quiet" for giant means 80 dBA. Unless you have an outbuilding to house it down the block, don't invite me into the shop with it going. I want a truly quiet, personal, aircraft construction compressor. I have some hearing loss and don't want more. And at my price point, a "scroll" type super quiet compressor isn't an option. Or an outbuilding.

All of the current "Ultra-quiet" compressors at big box stores have noise figures that, when you drill down, are about the same. Kind of annoying standing at it, but not deafening, and much much better than my older Craftsman beast. They mostly all tout 70 dBA or less. 70 dBA is about the cutoff for me. Anything more needs hearing protection. But the distance measured makes a huge difference and is hard to find. Turns out the 70 and 55 ones come out about the same, because they are measured at different distances. I think all the "ultra-quiet" ones that use similar technology are all the same. If you are comparing noise, find out the distance. dBA drops at about 6 dBA per doubling of distance without obstructions or constructive reflections. So 3 ft @70 dBA == 6 ft @64 dBA == 12 ft @58 dBA == 24 ft @52 dBA.
I'm about 15 ft from a compressor in my garage with some obstructions in between. So anything less than about 70 at the source will be less noisy than most of my air tools.

I bought the HF "Ultra Quiet" Fortress 26 gallon model for $400. If you're lucky you can get $50 off during a sale. Yes, it makes some noise. It measures about as advertised on my apple watch. About 60-65 dB at my workbench, which seems ok to me. You can have a conversation at elevated volume right at the compressor, or talk normally on the phone back at the work bench. Or walk inside the house from the garage and use the speakerphone, because the compressor in the garage becomes barely audible behind a closed door. Right outside the garage with the wooden garage doors down you can hear it, and the birds chirping, both. Not true with the old one, which may wake the dead and certainly would agitate neighbors late at night. If I want more time before it starts, I'll pipe the old 20 gallon tank into the circuit, no problem. And this is before doing things to mitigate volume, such as piping the inlet stream outside or building an insulating box, both of which lead to other problems.

If you want to spend less, and you don't mind pausing a little while grinding or drilling or using other high air volume tools, you can get a super deal. Unless I start hiring people to work along side me, or maybe until I start painting, I think I'll have enough air. All for $350 on sale! What a deal. And plenty of air for your rivets.

Now I have more money for hard-to-install but so-cool aircraft enhancements!

My 2 cents. Interested in your thoughts and experience.

Last edited:
My $0.02

Hearing protection, always.

As you probably know, the damage to your hearing occurs in the frequencies that you are exposed to. While the compressor may be relatively quiet, air tools, riveting, etc isn't. While the perceived noise doubles every 10 db, the rate of damage is more related to the true sound power level which doubles every 3 db, i.e. it's most always worse than you perceive.

Buy something; plugs muffs, foam, whatever and use them. I tend to put them in when I put my safety glasses on out of habit even when not using those tools. Not trying to sound preachy but protect what you've got.

Edit = All compressors were the "quiet" configuration; belt driven, oil lubed piston for a long time. It seems the maintenance free ones; small bore direct drive became the selling point. That's when the noise levels jumped way up. My 25 year old craftmans just died. The new Dewalt is much quiet but notably less flow (despite labeled SCFM rating). Anyway, my point is; what's old is new again.

Last edited:
I obtained great sound reduction with a "noisy" 5HP compressor by building a sound box. Relatively cheap, using a sheet of MDF lining it with old carpet from a neighbor getting rid of some old "shag" carpet. I used a small fan to ensure against overheat. The thing that makes sound boxes work is duct or passage (also lined with carpet) reversals, in and out of the sound box.

Do that to this unit and you should be in great shape. Putting this compressor into a sound box will compel you to use ear protection.

What Marc just said,
I started the build in a basement car garage under an appartment building.
I had to quiet down any noisy equipment.
Had a 2 cylinder oiled 25 gal compressor, already resonnably quiet.
On the wall adjacent to the compressor, I built a wooden frame just larger than it and lined the wall with "rockwool", used mainly for sound deadening.
Then a case around and on top of the compressor with "rockwool" inside everywhere. Put some on ground around the wheels and feet.

Put the external case 1 inch from the wall, for ventilation.
It was very quiet.

I’ve been enjoying my California Air Tools compressor. It’s very quiet. They often sell scratch/dent or outlet models and that’s how I got mine.

+1 California Air Tools

Got mine 5 years ago. $150. Now $235
Super quiet. Does the job for rivet guns, air drills, airing tires and compression checks. Satisfied customer.

I hear you on the desire for quiet, no pun intended. That said, I went for the 27gal 200psi instead. $430 on sale and it will drive air drills and die grinders continuously, no wait. rated at 78dB instead of 69dB, it is louder, but still acceptable to me. When I am riveting I have foamies in my ears anyway.

Tim

My air compressior is rated for 80dB. It's about 10 ft from my normal working location. However when I use a rivet gun, air drill or die grinder, I barely notice the air compressior noise.

Yes, I use hearing protection

Thank you all for re-enforcing the need for hearing protection. Absolutely. It's so important. I have permanent tinnitus likely from playing in loud bands without enough thought to covering my ears. And an air-bag incident, but that's another story. And I can sense the decline even in the last 5 years. If you live long enough, you may outlive your cochleas too.

My desire for a quieter compressor wasn't for the time I'm using a loud tool, but for the times in between when I take off the ear muffs. And for the neighbors. If I accidentally leave this one on all night, nobody will complain.

Back