What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy latch warnings and pitch trim, Oh my!

cfmcowboy

Howdy from the great white north!

I am just finishing up a 14A and the last few issues are propping up. Namely the limit switch for the canopy closed on the G3X and the pitch trim.

I am having a heck of a time getting the canopy pin to make contact with the micro switch. I have moved it as far back as I can and moved the pin as far forward as will allow? Any suggestions?

As for the pitch trim, I fabricated the arm but find the nose up (down) travel has far more movement than the up travel. Is that normal?

John

Switch arc increase

Had the same problem, increased the "arc" of the cut-out of the switch to close the gap. You can use the Vans written discrete program in the Garmin or Dynan set-up or in Garmin 9.22 does this for you.

Last edited:
As for the pitch trim, I fabricated the arm but find the nose up (down) travel has far more movement than the up travel. Is that normal?

Certainly check the letter as mentioned, but this is normal - lots of nose up is needed to offset the nose down impact of the large slotted flaps on the 14 when landing, especially when light (forward CG).

Howdy from the great white north!

John

Normal just check the RV-14 / 14A Control Deflection Limits. I had to lengthen my arm to comply. (I might have been sent an early production run of the arm which was shorter and later lengthened)

Thank you for all the great info, this helps a bunch. It looks like the pitch trim is whithin spec and I am going to adjust the arc on the switch bracket to see if that makes the difference.

J

i am having a similar problem with the canopy switch. in my case it is fine until air starts flowing into the cabin on takeoff roll. I assume there is internal pressure on the canopy that is forcing the switch to lose contact. Did the adjustment of the arc work?

Back