What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EI and ignition lead proximity/separation

Freemasm

Well Known Member
FI and ignition lead proximity/separation

Can FI injector leads and ignition (plug) leads share a bundle/same conduit (firesleeve)? Being able to do so would save me some complexity and clean up that part of the packaging near the bottom of the valve covers. If this has been discussed, I can’t find it and my apologies. Appreciate any insight. Thx.

Last edited:
Can FI injector leads and ignition (plug) leads share a bundle/same conduit (firesleeve)? Being able to do so would save me some complexity and clean up that part of the packaging near the bottom of the valve covers. If this has been discussed, I can’t find it and my apologies. Appreciate any insight. Thx.

I can't think of a reason why they can't. The injectors are just coils that create a magnetic field to move the pintle (think solenoid), so pretty insensitive to inductive noise. They get a full voltage for a few milliseconds to get them moving and then moves to PWM to keep them open. FI will DEFINATELY not affect the ignition.

Can FI injector leads and ignition (plug) leads share a bundle/same conduit (firesleeve)? ...

I wouldn’t do it.

Ref SDS Service Bulletin:

Jan. 3/20 Wire Routing Warning

We've seen a couple instances where temp sensor wiring has been tie wrapped to spark plug wires. This should NEVER be done and has led to ECUs being damaged. No EFI/ EI wires should ever be touching spark plug wires. Maintain at least 1 inch clearance.​

I gather you have EFII brand but in any case one injector wire goes to power and the other goes to the driver inside the ECU box.

Spark plug leads should be run separate & spaced away from all other wiring.
Also, never use the injector fuel lines as routing for the injector wiring.
Coil, temp & crank sensor wiring can be bundled in with the fuel injector wiring harnesses.

Back