What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Uneven RV4 U/C

Capt

Well Known Member
I’ve not noticed it before but my 4 has a slight lean or low wing down when parked on dead flat concrete, towards one side. Looks ok sighted front on! Tire pressures are even, do these soften over time?

Any chance the one of the gear legs is bent a bit? You could measure the angles. Tires shouldn't change their height if the air pressure is the same, though wear can cause slight height changes over time.

Same issue, different aircraft

I'm part owner in a Glastar, which has the same issue. I don't know it if was built that way, or at some stage was landed "hard".

When we fly it, we don't really notice it, so we decided not to worry about it.

Aircraft aren't perfect, and neither are the pilots. Some things are worth worrying about, and some aren't.

YMMV, and you get to decide.........

Same here

I noticed one wing tip higher than the other before I ever flew it. Never could determine the cause. One gear leg bent 1/2 degree more than the other? But a couple of gallons difference in one fuel tank compared to the other and the other wing tip is higher. No noticeable difference in handling

I’d investigate the engine mount for cracks, just to be sure the lean isn’t a sign of impending failure of the gear leg socket or such.

My -4 was built in a garage and has had a bit of a lean for over twenty years.

Helps with a left cross-wind :)

Cheers,

Vac

Thanks for the replies guys.
I measured the tips off the ground today, 30mm difference approx (over an inch).
Fuel qty was identical, tires the same wear/PSI.
I’ve had a good look with the lower cowl off for cracks especially at the firewall, nothing obvious. Maybe I’ve got a ‘Monday’ built plane��
The left leg looks slightly more splayed out if I look at it long enough, I’m assuming bent from the previous owner/s ldg’s. One day I might remove the legs for comparison, don’t know what new ones look like to compare.
Love the 4, had an 8 before this one, the 4 is a sweet handling bird, like a Prom Queen, where as the 8 was her older heavy mum��

Last edited:
If the wheels aren't perfectly parallel (zero toe in or out) the wheels will splay in or out different amounts as the aircraft is rolled.

From The "Wayback" Machine

Back in the '70's & '80's, considering the quality of the parts for -3's & -4's, it was not uncommon to have the problem you speak of.

Remember, this is back in the time when ALL holes/specs were the responsibility of the builder. This means if the motor mount (if square? Maybe not - did you check during the build) was mounted square to the airframe - it could still mean that the GL sleeves were not. The GL sleeves could have been slightly misaligned during the welding sequence.

It turned out on a lot of the builds I watched (and participated in) in the Bakersfield, CA area had sockets that had a slight misalignment; and, required the gearlegs to be moved up/down so the fuse would not have the "leans". Typically one leg (the left as I remember) would "stick" up about and 1/8" above the top of the GL sleeve. After a level position (side-to-side) of the fuselage was achieved - only then were the legs drilled to the sockets.

Don't know about early -6's or others - but any of the early builds that relied entirely on the builder's accuracy for layout to specs, could easily be called into question.

This may not be what has happened in your case - but there are probably no GL parts on these airplanes that are interchangeable without compromise.

HFS
RV-4 S/N 1136 (1985)

Good point! That might explain what I have, a not so accurate assembly in this area.
Some more measuring I suspect when next I take the cowls off, which is the only thi g I don’t like about Vans, those bloody cowls, look flash….but! -(

Back in the '70's & '80's, considering the quality of the parts for -3's & -4's, it was not uncommon to have the problem you speak of.

Remember, this is back in the time when ALL holes/specs were the responsibility of the builder. This means if the motor mount (if square? Maybe not - did you check during the build) was mounted square to the airframe - it could still mean that the GL sleeves were not. The GL sleeves could have been slightly misaligned during the welding sequence.

It turned out on a lot of the builds I watched (and participated in) in the Bakersfield, CA area had sockets that had a slight misalignment; and, required the gearlegs to be moved up/down so the fuse would not have the "leans". Typically one leg (the left as I remember) would "stick" up about and 1/8" above the top of the GL sleeve. After a level position (side-to-side) of the fuselage was achieved - only then were the legs drilled to the sockets.

Don't know about early -6's or others - but any of the early builds that relied entirely on the builder's accuracy for layout to specs, could easily be called into question.

This may not be what has happened in your case - but there are probably no GL parts on these airplanes that are interchangeable without compromise.

HFS
RV-4 S/N 1136 (1985)

Back