What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Super Koropon solvents for spray gun cleanup?

MikeWhiskeySierra

I'm New Here
After far too much research and internal debate, I've decided to hedge my bets and prime the interior surfaces of my RV-14 because I'll potentially be tying down my brand new bird outside within a few miles of the SoCal shoreline for the foreseeable future (and because what engineering project was ever "good enough" without being over-complicated?). Maybe not necessary, but I decided that I valued the belt-and-suspenders corrosion protection more than my time and money.

I've decided on a 2-part epoxy primer, and originally I had planned on using the typical Akzo 463-12-8, but pivoted to Super Koropon 515K011 when I realized Akzo cost more than twice as much. I'm about ready to start priming parts, but I'm hung up on spray equipment cleaning - PPG recommends "Desoclean 45" solvent cleaner, which appears to be a pretty straightforward mix of some popular solvents (MEK/IPA/toluene/MIBK) based on the SDS, but for some reason I can't find it for less than about $500/gal. That's obviously ridiculous - has anyone had good results cleaning Super Koropon from their spray equipment with alternatives? I just have a cheap Home Depot gun and I'm looking for "good enough" results from the cleaning and the primer aesthetics.

There are cheaper solvents like Desoclean 110 available on SkyGeek for $145/gal (still pretty steep...), but PPG explicitly doesn't recommend it over 45 - hard to tell if they're just trying to upsell a better product when 110 would be good enough, and I don't really want to drop $145 just to test it out.

Thanks!
Matt

Last edited:
Gun cleaner

I’m painting the exterior of my plane right now. I use straight lacquer thinner in a squirt bottle to clean my Devibilis DV1 guns (base & clear). Simple process after each each paint session…

Remove cap
Remove needle
Squirt lacquer thinner down paint inlet until fluid out nozzle runs clear
Lacquer thinner on rag to wipe down needle then re-install
Squirt lacquer thinner through cap from backside, wipe & re-install
Lacquer thinner on a rag to wipe down gun exterior

Tip a pro-painter showed me. Have a 5 gallon can with a funnel on top to “catch” cleaning products during the above process.

Brake cleaner from your local auto store works great. After I spray, just hold the trigger and spray it down the throat. I use the disposable paint cup liners as well. Save a tone of solvents.

I’m painting the exterior of my plane right now. I use straight lacquer thinner in a squirt bottle to clean my Devibilis DV1 guns (base & clear). Simple process after each each paint session…

Tip a pro-painter showed me. Have a 5 gallon can with a funnel on top to “catch” cleaning products during the above process.

Same here. I almost laughed when I saw that PPG recommended $500 solvent when laquer thinner works great at $14. Also, if you haven't bought yet, southern polyurethanes has one of the best epoxy primers out there and VERY reasonable price.

Same here. I almost laughed when I saw that PPG recommended $500 solvent when laquer thinner works great at $14. Also, if you haven't bought yet, southern polyurethanes has one of the best epoxy primers out there and VERY reasonable price.

100% agree on SPI epoxy primer. Gray primer goes down smooth and is tough.

I used Super Koropon on all interior surfaces. I've been cleaning my gun with straight Methyl Ethyl Ketone solvent bought from my local fiberglass and plastics place. I use it outside with a good mask and goggles. It'll give you a bad headache without a mask and don't get it in your eyes.

Lacquer thinner

Agree. Lacquer thinner but I do get serious on the final clean up. I had a gun clog up once.
Remove tip
Umscrew the flow control and remove the needle
Remove the inside part. Forgot the name.
I use q-tips to clean. Double check the inside of the nozzle.
That's where mine built up until it wouldn't spray
Double check all the air holes in the nozzle.
Spray some clean Lacquer thinner

lacquer thinner in a squirt bottle for me, with PPG primer products.
I've been enjoying the ppg acuspray gun setup for primer. Super easy to clean. No disassembly necessary.

Just say no to $500 solvents

Thanks all! I had a feeling like the name-brand stuff was a ripoff - I'll give lacquer thinner/acetone a try. I've already got my gallon kit of Super Koropon (only $216 at SkyGeek before tax/shipping) but good tip on the SPI epoxy - I do like the idea of just applying grey primer and not messing with a top coat, so maybe I'll grab a small kit for the visible parts of the fuselage interior.

Back