What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How long did your Factory-Built RV12 take?

mvanwyk

From the day that you put down your down payment, to the day you went to Aurora, Ore., and flew your new factory-built RV-12iS home, how long did it take?
How many months?
I would like real-time experiences from actual buyers.
I filled out my order form and sent in my $5,000 down payment on January 31, 2023.
Based on others experience, when can I expect my plane to be done?

What is Van's saying? Orders placed (and delivered) years ago would not be relevant to today's production schedule.

I just flew Lockwood’s newish RV-12iS S-LSA, which has (I’m told) all available options. It’s a thing of beauty. I was also told it takes about $180k to get one like it nowadays.

Attachments

• 07E4CE93-FE5E-4C62-B49A-D7CA81F048D5.jpg
    07E4CE93-FE5E-4C62-B49A-D7CA81F048D5.jpg
    511.7 KB · Views: 116
  • 21E0D930-90E2-44B9-9954-E963EC07FE4C.jpg
    21E0D930-90E2-44B9-9954-E963EC07FE4C.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 87
  • B172C346-3E5C-40CF-BC16-54BB6363379E.jpg
    B172C346-3E5C-40CF-BC16-54BB6363379E.jpg
    424.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
I just flew Lockwood’s newish RV-12iS S-LSA, which has (I’m told) all available options. It’s a thing of beauty. I was also told it takes about $180k to get one like it nowadays.

"All available options" does not include wheel pants?

I talked to Van's. I wasn't asking about what they are saying. I was looking for real-time experiences from customers.

The time from placing an order to taking delivery is directly related to how many airplanes were on order ahead of you when you placed the order.
That has varied over the past 3 years or so, so feedback from previous customers will not necessarily be a good benchmark.

I can't give you an answer because I don't know how many are on order, but I can tell you that what you have been told by Van's is probably pretty accurate, because they have had a very steady production rate for quite a while now (that I do know, because I am the person that does the certifications of them).

With knowledge of the production rate and the number of orders that are ahead of you, it is pretty easy to make a relatively accurate estimate of a delivery date (baring unforeseen circumstances like a world wide pandemic, sudden unavailability of vendor supplied components, etc.)

With a little research, I found out that "Lockwood" is located in Florida.
Do they rent out the RV-12is?
I'm in San Martin, California. I wonder if there is some place near me that rents out RV-12's so that I can get some time in one?

Not only is Lockwood in FL, it is also about 2 hours away from everything.

It is a very nice airplane though.

I went down there to try it out, and flew all the way out to Venice Beach (KVNC) and back.

Really great Cuban sandwiches at Venice Beach.

Order Time

I placed an order for a platinum RV12iS about three weeks ago (4/5/23). They said 15-18 months to build, perhaps a little sooner. They mentioned that there was tons of interest at Sun and Fun so time could go up if a wave of orders come in. I was ahead of that.

Also, Wheel pants come with all factory built planes.

Cheers!

In the spirit of openness I will share that in my case it was about 18 months with the delivery to take place very soon. As Scott and others correctly point out, past performance isn't necissarily an indicator of the future, especially with many of the unusual factors experienced over the past few years.. The initial estimate from Van's was up to 24 months at the time of the order in late 2021, then dropped to 15 months before ending up at 18 months.

Last edited:
With a little research, I found out that "Lockwood" is located in Florida.
Do they rent out the RV-12is?
I'm in San Martin, California. I wonder if there is some place near me that rents out RV-12's so that I can get some time in one?

There isn't. I have been digging on this like crazy. You'll get lots of great answers about them in other states, but nothing in California.

I can't manage to get even a single hour of dual without traveling out of state. Frustrating.

In the spirit of openness I will share that in my case it was about 18 months with the delivery to take place very soon. As Scott and others correctly point out, past performance isn't necissarily an indicator of the future, especially with many of the unusual factors experienced over the past few years.. The initial estimate from Van's was up to 24 months at the time of the order in late 2021, then dropped to 15 months before ending up at 18 months.
Thanks. I like opennesss. That's the kind of factual information, from an actual buyer, that I was asking for.

There isn't (an available Van's RV-12 rental in California). I have been digging on this like crazy. You'll get lots of great answers about them in other states, but nothing in California.
I can't manage to get even a single hour of dual without traveling out of state. Frustrating.

I'm trying to wrap my brain around how I will be able to pick up my new RV-12is at Aurora State Airport (KUAO) and fly it 439 NM to my home base San Martin Airport (E16), when I have not flown a single minute in a RV-12. I have sat in an RV-12 owned by an acquaintance of mine who is at my home base airport, but I would never ask him to allow me to fly it.

My plan right now is to get as current/proficient as possible in SEL, read all of the available documentation such as POH, Garmin documentation (and online Garmin simulator), and I assume I get some training there at Van's, which is listed as one of the places that rents out RV-12s.
Van’s Aircraft
Aurora, OR
(503) 678-6545
Transition training and factory demo flights

Is there a common rental airplane that would be best to train in, that most closely resembles RV-12? Or is flying a rental Cessna 172 or a Piper Warrior roughly equivalent?
p.s.
I have over 800 hours in my previous Cessna C-150, which I do believe to be roughly equivalent in performance (100 HP two seater).

Last edited:
The bottom line is the sooner you order a plane the sooner you'll get it.
I did order a plane. In January, 2023.
My question about how long it takes is sufficiently answered.
What about my new questions, about how do I get some training in an RV-12?

Is there a common rental airplane that would be best to train in, that most closely resembles RV-12? Or is flying a rental Cessna 172 or a Piper Warrior roughly equivalent?

That's a good question. In my personal opinion, the Evektor SportStar and the PiperSport / CZAW SportCruiser are quite similar to the RV-12. They're a hair slower, and the SportStar is a little more "wobbly", but the handling and sight-picture are similar, and the engine is the same (Some have carbs and some have fuel injection), and many of the systems can be the same (especially if you find one for rent that has an EFIS made by the same manufacturer). I've never flown a StingSport but it's also probably very similar. Is there a place near you that rents any of these? There used to be a SportStar for rent in San Jose... Google Google, there's another one in Acampo, but that's a bit of a drive. Sacramento and Auburn are even further. But those are some options.

I do think that flying an LSA with very light controls is not something that you can fully prepare for by flying Cessnas and Cherokees. A couple of lessons in a SportStar will make for a much easier transition into the RV-12. (And the RV-12 "flies straight" more so than the SportStar so it will be even easier).

Last edited:
I'm trying to wrap my brain around how I will be able to pick up my new RV-12is at Aurora State Airport (KUAO) and fly it 439 NM to my home base San Martin Airport (E16), when I have not flown a single minute in a RV-12. I have sat in an RV-12 owned by an acquaintance of mine who is at my home base airport, but I would never ask him to allow me to fly it.

My plan right now is to get as current/proficient as possible in SEL, read all of the available documentation such as POH, Garmin documentation (and online Garmin simulator), and I assume I get some training there at Van's, which is listed as one of the places that rents out RV-12s.
Van’s Aircraft
Aurora, OR
(503) 678-6545
Transition training and factory demo flights

p.s.
I have over 800 hours in my previous Cessna C-150, which I do believe to be roughly equivalent in performance (100 HP two seater).

I contacted Van's twice about transition training in the -12. Both time I was told to go look somewhere else for one reason or another. It doesn't hurt to ask, but I wouldn't count on it. They may be a little more cooperative with S-LSA buyers. Also, if you're already in that area there is an RV-12 available for instruction at Twin Oaks so with some planning you should be able to figure something out. Going up a week early to do some flying while you wait for a factory new airplane sounds like a heck of a trip!

You'll get replies about training in other RVs, other LSAs, etc. Every policy stands on the relevant facts that are different for each person, but my guess is that you're going to learn that your insurance wants a check out in an RV-12 specifically. Don't let people distract you with 'advice' about transitioning in something else. Stay focused on finding an RV-12.

I have learned that the world of insurance and requirements has changed a lot in the last few years. There is a lot of bad advice out there dressed up as experience.

I did order a plane. In January, 2023.
My question about how long it takes is sufficiently answered.

One option: You can call and talk with our SLSA sales and customer guru, Aric, about the possibility of receiving familiarization training in your RV-12iS before you fly it home. You'll want to be current and proficient in small aircraft before you do that, of course.

Lead times are highly dependent on the number in the queue at the time you place your order and we work to come as close to the estimated and communicate lead times as possible. Our SLSA assembly throughput has been increasing a bit, and we will be making a few changes in the near future that will likely continue to improve our team's production throughput.

...my guess is that you're going to learn that your insurance wants a check out in an RV-12 specifically. Don't let people distract you with 'advice' about transitioning in something else. Stay focused on finding an RV-12.
I have learned that the world of insurance and requirements has changed a lot in the last few years. There is a lot of bad advice out there dressed up as experience...
Excellent points. Thanks.
One option: You can call and talk with our SLSA sales and customer guru, Aric, about the possibility of receiving familiarization training in your RV-12iS before you fly it home. You'll want to be current and proficient in small aircraft before you do that, of course.

Lead times are highly dependent on the number in the queue at the time you place your order and we work to come as close to the estimated and communicate lead times as possible. Our SLSA assembly throughput has been increasing a bit, and we will be making a few changes in the near future that will likely continue to improve our team's production throughput.
Like I said, my "lead times" questions have been answered.
I'm definitely going to look into some training in an RV-12 before I fly it home (sometime in mid-2024).

Another RV-12iS in the Portland area

FlyIt Academy at Grove Field (1W1) in Camas, WA recently added an RV-12iS to their rental line, and offers instruction. They’re a few miles north of Portland, whereas Van’s is about an hour south of Portland.

I’m not a customer there - I’m currently planning to get my -12 instruction at Twin Oaks when I’m closer to finishing my build because I’m hoping to get a hangar there, but I thought I’d mention it in case you’re looking to travel for your training.

...there is an RV-12 available for instruction at Twin Oaks so with some planning you should be able to figure something out. Going up a week early to do some flying while you wait for a factory new airplane sounds like a heck of a trip!....
That sounds like a plan.
...You can call and talk with our SLSA sales and customer guru, Aric, about the possibility of receiving familiarization training in your RV-12iS before you fly it home...
Frankly, I'm surprised that Van's doesn't have an established familiarization training program set up before they hand off the keys to a buyer.
I "assumed" they did. I'm glad I started asking questions early, so that I can prepare.
...FlyIt Academy at Grove Field (1W1) in Camas, WA recently added an RV-12iS to their rental line, and offers instruction. They’re a few miles north of Portland, whereas Van’s is about an hour south of Portland...
Thanks for providing another option.
My plan before taking delivery in 2024:
* Get current and proficient as possible locally where I live (3rd Class Medical, BFR in SEL -- rental Cessna/Piper/whatever, etc.)
* Read, read, read. RV-12iS POH, maintenance manuals, Garmin G3X manuals, etc.
* Train, train, train. Simulate, simulate, simulate. Such as online Garmin G3X online simulators.
* Arrange with my home base airport for a tie down, like I previously had for 17 years with my C-150, so that I have somewhere to put it when I get it home.
* Arrange with my acquaintance Bruce, of Bruce's Covers, to have ready for me a complete, full cover -- wings, fuselage, tail feathers, etc., because I won't have a hangar. The plane will live outside. All maintenance will be accomplished by the local FBO.
* Arrange with insurance company to be insured from day one of ownership. That will require that I arrange training specifically in an RV-12.
* Set up logistics to travel to Oregon, spend a week or so, while I set up training at one of the nearby flight schools with RV-12, and then go pick up the plane when it's done.
Sounds like I have a lot of planning to do.
Thanks for all who provided useful information.

Frankly, I'm surprised that Van's doesn't have an established familiarization training program set up before they hand off the keys to a buyer.
I "assumed" they did. I'm glad I started asking questions early, so that I can.

FYI, we *do* have a program for this. Two hours of training are available with a cfi in your airplane, provided as part of the purchase. You can also hire additional hours from the instructor if you like. Give Aric and call and he can fill you in on the details.

FYI, we *do* have a program for this. Two hours of training are available with a cfi in your airplane, provided as part of the purchase. You can also hire additional hours from the instructor if you like. Give Aric and call and he can fill you in on the details.
Thanks for making that clear.
You confused me when you originally wrote:
"You can call and talk with our SLSA sales and customer guru, Aric, about the possibility of receiving familiarization training in your RV-12iS before you fly it home."
That made it sound like I had to ask for the training. That it was not an automatic. That it was only a possibility.

Last edited:
That's a good question. In my personal opinion, the Evektor SportStar and the PiperSport / CZAW SportCruiser are quite similar to the RV-12.

+1 to this. After getting my Sport certificate in an Evektor, it only took one lesson (1.4 hours dual received) to get checked out in a rental RV-12, which I flew for about 50 hours before giving in and buying my own. I think that if you get proficient in any low-wing Rotax-powered LSA before arriving at Van’s to pick up your plane, you’ll feel right at home in it when you get there.

Delivery exceeds expectations

I ordered an RV12is platinum in June of 2021 and it was completed in August 2022. I picked it up and flew it to Indiana in September 2022. I ordered another one in February of 2022 and construction just started 3 weeks ago and should be ready for delivery in August this year. For the first one the actual delivery date was several months earlier than what Van’s said it would be. In other words, they performed significantly better than they committed to. Construction on the 2nd one started several months ahead of schedule as well. As others have responded, a 2 hour training session is included but you do need to schedule it well ahead to make sure the instructor is available when you intend to pick up your airplane and you and the instructor will need to be flexible due to weather. The whole experience has been exceptional from my perspective.

I ordered an RV12is platinum in June of 2021 and it was completed in August 2022. I picked it up and flew it to Indiana in September 2022. I ordered another one in February of 2022 and construction just started 3 weeks ago and should be ready for delivery in August this year. For the first one the actual delivery date was several months earlier than what Van’s said it would be. In other words, they performed significantly better than they committed to. Construction on the 2nd one started several months ahead of schedule as well. As others have responded, a 2 hour training session is included but you do need to schedule it well ahead to make sure the instructor is available when you intend to pick up your airplane and you and the instructor will need to be flexible due to weather. The whole experience has been exceptional from my perspective.
Excellent information. Thanks!

Back