What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another RV 12 GPS175 question

Invicto89

I'm New Here
Having searched the site and done research using available construction/installation documentation from Vans, Dynon, and Garmin, I have this question:

First my aircraft configuration:

New in 2020 Airworthiness as RV-12iS
Dual Skyview HDX displays (I added the MFD afterwards)

1. For anyone with an RV-12iS GPS-175 installation, what power and ground source did you use?
ELECTRICAL-SYSTEMS-912iS-SkyView-WH-00133-R8.pdf page 8 Power Module ES-00059 Pins 48 and 49 show as unused Avionics' bus switched 7.5A NAV/COM fused power source with no attendant ground pin. Garmin GPS-175 Install Manual requires dedicated power/ground connection.

2. For anyone with RV-12iS Dynon Skyview HDX, did you wire a TO/GA switch, and if so, where did you mount and how was it wired?

Thanks,

Steve

PP/LSRM-I
'22 Donation made - sending 2023 in the mail (not a 3rd party payment service fan)
2020 RV-12iS Dynon 120482
TBD RV-8A 81635

Last edited:
good questions, I have the same set up as you, I referenced Vans own diagram they use for the garmin IFR system, I wired up my 175 just as they did the 650 for power and ground, You just add a wire and pin in the harness. Super easy to do.

TO/GA switch not needed, the up button on the autopilot is used for the same function. tap autopilot up button, it indicates go around/add power, tap the 175 screen to initiate the missed and off you go.

GPS175 addition just completed. Having the Garmin system I removed the GPS20A and used its power source. The antenna tray under the cowling is being used for the GA35 antenna of the GPS175 and I moved the G3X antenna from the tray under cowling into the avionics bay. Yes, it has the sheet of aluminum above it but I'm using the "external GPS" of the GPS175 as primary GPS. I ran (and stubbed) the TO/GA wires into the throttle tunnel and will get around to installing a TO/GA switch similarly to the Autopilot Disconnect button but on the Pilot side.

Last edited:
Back